Help on upper deck

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by francois100, Oct 21, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Francois,

first you should narrow down your requirements. What do you really wnat or need, and what is a "nice to have" but could be sacrificial. This might give you a idea on howto:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/design-spiral-where-start-building-boat-28580.html

Next you should collect more impressions of other designs on the market, to get a clue what worked in reality, and is proven.
    Lookup:

Glen L
    Atkin boat plans
    Selway Fisher
    Bateau.com

There are many more of course, but these will give you some thoughts about dimensions, space, and general arrangements.

Then come back and ask the next questions.

Regards
    Richard

2. francois100

francois100 Junior Member

I have seen some pontoons with planing hulls but that is not what i am looking for, we live next to a lake and i want some thing where the family can go and enjoy the day, it should not be to small but something we can spend the complete day on with ease. Some fishing and just cruising. I was thinking of a outboard motor between 15 and 50 hp.

The mane thing here is that I want to build it my self...

I am going to take Watson advice and pay some one to look at the design but i don't want to pay a hell of an amount for a design that wont work... I like the pontoon setup because you can have a big boat on a Farlay simple design, OK that was what i thought but even something simple like a pontoon seems to have a need of a designer...

Do you senior members think that I must rather buy some plans for a boat, is there actually plans to buy for an fiberglass pontoon.

The free software HULLS comes with allot of designs is those design legit or just some ex samples what you can do with the software, can one actually use those hull designs.

What I need is just a nice relaxer I came up with 20 foot by doing a layout of what i need on the deck. The size can change as required or advice i get from the forum, like the upper deck, the advice i got from the forum made me think twice about the deck and i am going to take the advice because i came to the forum for that purpose,

If you think i must buy plans of an pontoon please does some one on the forum have such plans so that i can buy them or if some one need me to make an detail drawing of my own hull design I will do so and they can tell me if it is going to work or not, I will then get a qualified person check and sign my design of and prosed with the build.

Sorry for the long reply.

3. francois100

Apeg i have read you explanation of the dilemma i am in, i have looked at he sites you have proposed.

My answer is i want to build an pontoon boat for my first boat, it does not seem to far out of reach and it looks like the type of boat for my needs. There is some nice ones that a company in America makes but ones again not where i stay.

I am forgetting about the upper deck.

So it comes down to the same question as my previous post, buy plans of the Hull (pontoon) or ask some one to have a look at my own... tell me if it will work and then pay someone to check and sign of my final design.

Thanks Guys

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

You are far cheaper afloat buying a existing design, than hiring a NA to redraw yours, to start with.

The pontoon idea has some attractions, but more often than not, the monohull/barge, design is the better (and cheaper) choice. And for the intended purpose usually as fast.

The barge design has to deal with less structural problems and issues, and provides more room. On top of that (pun intended), it is the better platform for your sundeck lounge.

The "Hull" software will not provide you a thorough and buildable designed plan.

Do not restrict yourself in length or (worst) width now! If you need another Meter to accommodate your lounge, so be it.

Study these sites I recommended, you will find something close to your needs or desires. And the plans are dirt cheap.
    If you don´t find it there, you still have the opportunity to redesign or draw new. But that costs, of course.

Regards
    Richard

5. francois100

Thanks Apex i am doing so right now, there is alot of things to ponder. I take it that the sites you gave me, all of the plans there is up to standard, what i am trying to say is that the designs is proven and is not just someone like me trying to make a buck or 2.

I am asking because they are so dirt cheap.

Thanks apex i think you guys are sick and tierd of the rookies with same questions over and over. A nebie like my self always thinks his question is unique. the forum is just so big and dificult to some times find what you are looking for.

6. francois100

Ps my eglish is terable, sorry it is not my first language.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Apex note that current designs are far cheaper is very true. I have been down both routes, and 'doing your own thing' is a lot more expensive.

With similar aims and waterborne aspirations I personally chose a plan from Bateu boat plans. Their houseboat designs come in two sizes - 23 ft
    http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GT23

and 27 ft
    http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GT27

they are very roomy, capable of decent speed ( around 20 knots ) and as they are built with epoxy and plywood, are a simpler way to start boatbuilding.

I chose the 27ft for a bit of extra space. The other good selling point is that because they are designed 'pontoon style', you can put any type and configuration of topsides on them,

eg .
    http://schoolroad.weebly.com/project-1.html

which allows a fair bit of personal choice without structural implications.

Bateau have a good reputation in the market, and support emails have been readily forthcoming. I have also had dealings with Selway-Fisher, and found their service and product to be good value.

Take your time and have a good look around those recomended sites

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Don´t worry, we have no obligation to contribute here. And when the people come here just to get their impertinent statements or premature dreams confirmed, some of us (me especially) can get very abrasive. But there is nothing wrong with being ignorant and seeking advice.

As rwatson said, the given links provide proven plans which give proper results when built to the exact parameters. Any changes should be avoided if possible, that would again require some pro to recalculate. (there are cases when changes do not require that though)

These plans are pretty simple, have been sold many times, and often the designer is already long gone, as with Atkin the case. Hence these plans a far cheaper than any possible attempt to design new.

I would recommend spending some $$$ to purchase a study plan in the ballpark of your desired size and try to "redesign" to your preferences. Bearing in mind all the given restrictions you will find in the original plans, that gives you a deeper insight, and you have it much easier then, to pick a plan as close as possible to what you want!

Btw, many of us are not natural English speakers, me included.

Regards
    Richard

9. francois100

Bayou Belle

Hi Guys I have done some reading, looking at study plans, and so on. On this forum under the free plan section they give a page called Grandpa's Archive.

There is a Shanty Boat called Bayou Belle. The Construction seem fairly simple and it looks like the type of boat a first time builder could manage.

The Boat also looks more or less the type of boat that would fit my needs.
    I am still not going for the upper deck. But it looks like a nice cruiser.

I have modeled the boat according to the design they give. I have a few issues or questions.

A. At the transom Frame 8 they show on the plans that the angle of the hull is 1/2 " less than frame 7, could you please look at the drawing i have added and then tell me if it looks right or is there maybe a mistake.

B. Is this a sturdy type of design, i have not seen pictures of one of these but many other shanty boats.

I am still going to buy plans just playing around with different ideas and type of structures. If you could look at it and just give me the reason why the transom is lower than the rest of the hull frames so that i could get a better understanding. I could email the plans but it is available on the forum.

Regards and thanks again,

Attached Files:

10. jsupperdecks

jsupperdecks New Member

Upper Deck DIY kit

Hi Francois,
    I'm sure by now you have designed and fabricated a sturdy upper deck for your boat. But, if you haven't, or if there is someone else in your shoes, I wanted to let you know there is now a do it yourself kit that my company, J's Upper Decks sells. We were battling the same issue you were, and around the same time. We wanted to add upper decks to pontoon boats we were renting out, but there was not an affordable aftermarket or easy solution to adding an upper deck. So we developed one. Our kits come with frame work, aluminum flooring, hardware, etc. They are sturdy, can hold a significant amount of weight, and can be built in an afternoon.

Check out our website: www.jsupperdecks.com. And if you have any questions about our product, feel free to reach out to me. I'm happy to help you or anyone that is interesting in adding an upper deck to their pontoon boat.

Jay Fender
    J's Upper Decks