Help??? On the search

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by wannabeboater, Oct 27, 2008.

1. wannabeboater

wannabeboater Junior Member

As you can see in my name I do not know much about boats, but i greatly enjoy them. Although I do not have my own, I am looking. I am looking at
    80's used yachts. I like the size over 35 feet but under 50. I don't want a project boat, the hull must be in good condition, and the interior must be in good condition, i am will to reupholsture, but nothing more, my budget is 30,000 usd. The styles I am looking for are not sporty, i do not know the names of this kind of boat style, so i will describe it. I want it to have a lot of cabin space above water. If you need a better description I will attempt to make it more clear.
    Thanks for your time, Patrick

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

search for a boat

Try to find an Inland Seas cruiser. You can google and pull up some. Steel hull with wood tops and beautiful cabins. The 40' and 45' are gorgeous. I believe the thickness of the hull is 1/2" There is a whole history about these boats. All have large twin engines and some have 3. They are in your price range. Those hulls last forever.

3. wannabeboater

Ok thank-you.
    I am checking right now. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Inland Seas

Hello Wannabe Boater. If you like the looks of the Inland Seas let me know. I have a pretty extensive file of info I can e-mail you. I owened a 32' x 11' with twin crusaders (the best inboard engines) 427 Chevys. Stan

5. wannabeboater

They seem pretty hard to find and the ones possible to find aren't in the best of condition. I have considered building my own yacht. I know 30,000 won't cut it but I can perfect it. I think my determination and patience will allow this. I can keep adding to my savings for a yacht and I think I will build one. I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that is good for designing boats that is under 200 dollars? If so please tell me.
    Patrick

6. wannabeboater

I just got that message, please send the information, I think if I can find the right one it should be good.
    Patrick

7. wannabeboater

Sorry for so many messages but i didn't realize you asking about the looks of them. I do like the looks but space and stability/maneuverablity are my main priorities to deal with. Do you know what the price of one would be without motors, and some work needed? I have a couple of chevy 454's in the garage... sounds like fun besides gas prices.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

building a yacht

By a complete set of plans done by a naval architect. You can change the insides and cabin but don't try to design a hull unless you are a professional.
    A starting point would be to look over the larger cruisers by Glen-L marine designs. They have been around over 50 years and know how to make things simple for the newbe. I built my first boat using their plans in 1958/9

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

wannabeboater

I need an email address to forward to you. Stan

10. wannabeboater

Ok, I would like to design a cabin and performance, but definately not the hull as i am not a professional and that is the main part of the boat to keep it afloat. Do you have a guess of what a 40 foot hull would cost then all the other stuff to make the cabin and such? I am definately a beginner :)

11. wannabeboater

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

wannabeboater.

You can receive a lot of assistance here but you need to post the 4 Ws
    who--are you a family? kids and a dog? etc.
    what--want do you want in a boat? water sports? be able to sleep on it?
    where--where do you want to use it? do you want in trailable?
    why--are you sure this is an activity you want to get into and spend hard earned money? Building is a wonderful activity with a great amount of accomplishment. Redoing an existing to your needs is also great fun. When you can narrow down your desires then you can get lots of help and guidance
    thru many forums and you will enjoy the process. Stan

13. wannabeboater

who- yes a family of four, and we have three dogs, so enclosable cabin
    what- I want it to have a big cabin where we all can sleep seperately if needed, and a bathroom, a small galley would be wanted.
    Where- The gulf Coast in florida- shallow, so a shallow draft would be handy
    Why? I believe the boat will fit our needs better but im open for ideas
    I would prefer over 30 foot

14. wannabeboater

and did you forward the e-mail?

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

wwannabe

Yes I sent 2 so if you want more let me know by my email.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.