Help on replacing broke ribs

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by my-dream, Jun 26, 2006.

1. my-dream

my-dream New Member

I'm new to wooden boats, I just bought a 1969 Pembroke Sportfisher 38ft. The boat floats and is stil in the water. I have been all over this boat and and the only rot I have found is topside, except one rib. However I found 4 cracked ribs one of which has came undone due to rot. The boat is lapstreak and has been pulled every two years since new. My question is can I sister in wood to fix my problem or do I have bigger issues? :confused:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Depends. You need an on-site inspection.

3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

Since you are new to wooden boats, you need to have a boat carpenter come out and look the old gal over. There are many places for rot and other problems to hide in these old hulls. You have probably heard about having a survey done, especially before the purchase, but anytime is an excellent idea. You need to get an idea what is going to need replacing, fixing and a reasonable order of priority, all of which are available with a good survey.