Help Needed with Boat Plans

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Benevolance, May 9, 2008.

1. Benevolance

Benevolance Junior Member

Hello there

After talking about it for 10 years I have decided to build a small multi purpose sailboat...I have even convinced my wife that it is necessary.

We want a boat around 14-16 feet in length...Something that can be rowed in a pinch and powered by a small outboard if needed...But we will use it mainly as a Sail boat...

We live in South Carolina and we go to the beach a fair bit... using the intercoastal water way in sunset beach near North Myrtle Beach.

Looking for something with a lot of room inside as there will often be 3-5 people in the boat for day sailing. And we want to incorporate a tent design for camping with the boat if there are just the 2 of us.

I have some woodworking experience..We are renovating a 90 year old home and we have made wooden windows...And replaced the cabinets and cupboards in the kitchen with ones we made... So we have some basic tools and experience in wood working...I think we can handle making a boat.

Living an hour from Lake Murray (which is massive!) and an hour from the ocean...We would like a stable boat that can be taken out without fear of death and destruction

I am asking for advice... looking for others to offer up pictures or experiences with a boat like I am describing... I have searched around a little on the internet with some boat plans and I have bookmarked a few that are almost what we are looking for.

I know that we will get there and we will find the boat that will be perfect for us...

Thank you in advance

-Peter Ross
    Lake City South Carolina

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You might look at Ian Proctor's Wayfarer design. The design iis buildable in plywood, so amateur home building is possible. I found a website with some info, but the plans would, I believe, be from such as WoodenBoat.

http://www.porters.org.uk/wayfarer.htm

Alan

3. Benevolance

thank you very much! I will check out the plans... I know I can handle plywood construction...I might with a little help be able to handle something more complicated...

One of my friends needs a smaller row boat I might build a boat for them just to get my feet wet so to speak

4. Benevolance

The wayfarer looks impressive...But most of what they have at that site are finished boats for $8000 pounds...

And those boats and designs are not wooden at all... I need a design that is wood based if I am to construct it...

5. Benevolance

I did contact them though and specifically asked for plans they might have that are wood based... I hope that they can help me... It is a beautiful boat indeed

6. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Here are a couple more sites to whet your appetite...

http://www.glen-l.com/

http://www.boatbuilder.org/

... and at the very opposite end of the spectrum, but still meeting your requirements, try this one In particular this design is easiest to construct (two or three modules bolted together) and can be built either 16 or 24 foot in length

Best of luck and keep us informed and updated with pics!

Best

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. Benevolance

I have been scouring the web...and I have saved a few plans to my bookmarks...I will show you the ones that I have liked thus far... maybe some of you have sailed in or built something like these and can offer help with my decision making.

Here is a nice little 14 with lots of interior room for passengers:
    http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local...4260973e81&type=item&categ=019&item=943100013

Here is a 15 foot boat with lots of cabin room
    http://www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local...84700e750c&type=item&categ=019&item=943128221

I absolutely love the open layout of this 14 foot boat and have mailed them to see if they can send me plans for the same boat in a 16 foot length...I have also looked at some 16 and 17 foot long boat plans with a cabin with the thought that I would remove the cabin and open it up for more space for daysailing with the family... As far as overnighting a tent that attaches to the top of the boat should serve our overnight needs.

Here is the boat with the amazing open layout

https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=442

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Again, I'm pretty sure the plans are available in plywood from WoodenBoat.

A.

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

You might try googling the Great Pelican.

11. Benevolance

Allan,

I did send them a email asking about plans for the wayfarer with wooden construction...So I will see how they reply

12. Benevolance

I got a message from Ian Porter saying that they had nothing to do with wooden boats... too expensive too hard to maintain and too much work to build

So that idea is dead I guess?

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

www.selway-fisher.com
    have a great range of plywood boats of all sorts - I was very pleased with the service and professionalism when I did my small project

14. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

They (the class association) don't like wooden boats. They prefer plastic ones that any idiot could maintain. The original Wayfarer was made from plywood.
    All wooden boats are too expensive, too hard to maintain, and too much work to build. I'm sure you can find plans for the Wayfarer, just not from the class association, who are apparently in bed with the FG manufacturer.
    I wouldn't give up that easily. I KNOW Woodenboat had plans for the boat at least in the past. Good luck in any case.

Alan