Bent 60" propeller

Discussion in 'Props' started by Parahelio, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Parahelio

Parahelio Junior Member

Hi all

I quit lurking to post a question.

I recently bought an old tug boat, ex steam built 1890

It has a 3 bladed "Columbian" made in the USA 1961 model bronze propeller D60 P34 inches.
    I was turning it today and noticed one blade tip is 2” aft off the other 2 blades, so it is bent back, also the leading edge doesn’t match the other 2 blades, it is an inch thick at the tip, leading edge and trailing edge.

Questions

Can it be bent back by a pro shop or do they have to cut it of and weld it back on?
    How much should one worry about something like this on a slow turning propeller?

P

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Correcting these defects is a simple poc for a decent propshop. Effects of same defect? Well, depends on rotational speed, but probably most felt as vibration, eventually causing increased bearing/sealing wear.

3. Parahelio

Parahelio Junior Member

Thanks.

Found a decent prop shop and took the prop off today, taking it there tomorrow.

P

4. Parahelio

Parahelio Junior Member

I got the prop back from the shop.

Beautiful

prop.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.