HELP NEEDED!! Foam core in transom cracked! Replace or repair??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tjwwright, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Tjwwright

Tjwwright New Member

Hi to all. New to the site. Hope someone can help who's been through this. I haven't and hours spent researching have yielded no results. I have a 24' Carolina Skiff I started to restore. It has a foam core in the transom. The glass on the interior of the transom was cracking and delaminating. I started to cut the glass out and noticed the foam core is cracked in numerous places completely leaving individual sections. I'm wondering if it can be repaired without relacing? My thoughts were to replace thinking strength has been compromised. But a few people I've spoke to say just strip back the delaminated glass and re glass well and you'll be fine. Would like to know your opinions on this. I can tell some of the foam core is not adhered to the back transom glass either.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

The foam has to be removed, a new core bonded in and the skin bonded back in place. Do a search on this site for transom core replacement. You'll find much of this is about plywood cores (the most common core type), but the techniques are the same, if using foam. With a foam core, the inner and outer skin bonds, needs to be very good, because unlike a plywood core, a foam core can't take the loads without the skins around it.

3. Tjwwright

Tjwwright New Member

Thanks I assu that just know nothing of foam cores. Plywood time it is. The repairs with plywood I'm familiar with well enough to get the job done. Still going to read up a bit on this site though. Thanks so much for your reply

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.