Starting in on a Chugger

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bike and a boat, May 5, 2012.

1. Bike and a boat

Bike and a boat Junior Member

Well, after months of plotting, scheming, and other cajoling of the Dark Arts, (with all apologies to Harry Potter!) last week Sunday I started in on Steve Lewis's Chugger design!

I posted a thread a few weeks back asking for input about putting wheels on the boat, I am still mulling this over, but in the meantime, it occurred to me that with out some sort of boat to actually ATTACH to the wheels, the whole idea wasn't gonna get very far!

I am uploading a few pics of my efforts so far, my thanks again to Mr. Lewis on his easy, fluid design. One of the pics is me hauling my tools with one of my bike trailers, as I do just about everything via bicycle. (I live in Chicago)

Attached Files:

2. Bike and a boat

2 people like this.
  3. Outlaw45

Outlaw45 Senior Member

so whats up with chugger?

Outlaw

4. Bike and a boat

Thanks for asking! Chugger is about three weeks away from launching, I Hope! My "real" life had me busy this last month, but I will soon post a link to a video I made last week. The interior is about done, I passed on a built in wheels, and I have a removable tandem axle wheel cradle that will store on the roof when underway. This is so I can still pull it to the water with my bike. The camper pop top is ready to go, and I am down to painting and installing windows!
    l

5. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

:D got any pics of it atm?

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Read his blog which he linked. :)

7. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

Oh thanks :D missed the link
    Looking good btw :)

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Congrats and I am looking forward to seeing the video and more pics on your blog. You are joining an elite group of non conformists.
    You are looking at having Hull #11 if nobody pops up with a completed one before the launch.

9. Bike and a boat

Just posted a video on the blog here ....http://whereaboatgoes.blogspot.com/2012/07/update-and-such.html

Forgive the horrid look of the windows, after my original "trapezoidal" shapes, I decided that I hated them, so I glassed in some patches, so to speak. The two hatches, foredeck and cabin roof, will have plexiglass on them for light.

Thanks for the good words all, the heat and humidity have finally broken here, perfect weather to finish some fiberglass and to enjoy a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the soon to be completed cockpit!

10. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

looking good :)
    how big is it btw? :) be different seeing someone towing a boat, behind a bike =D

11. Bike and a boat

15 feet long, 4 wide, 4 tall except for the pop top camper part, which is the midsection, about three feet, folds down for transport. Thanks for the good words!

12. Bike and a boat

I suppose, Liighthead, that towing a 15 foot boat behind a bicycle is perhaps stretching the known boundaries a bit, but being an avid biker and bike business owner, I like to see what one can do on a bike! The actual towing is less than a mile as my boatshop is that close to the water where I will launch.

13. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

:) will be a good work out, as long as ur in a low ish gear when u start, and make sure ur brakes work :p
    Should be alright :)
    as u own a bike shop ect im sure u have decent bike :p not just some cheapie from the tip ect :)

Have u thought about how ur going to mount the wheels?

14. Bike and a boat

I will admit that I have a small 49cc engine on a Motobecane bike frame that i am going to use for towing the boat, I like to cover my bases! As to the wheels, the boat will ride on a cradle that is the width of the boat and fits between each of the bottom skegs. The wheels are quick release so the four wheels will come off and stow away and the cradle fits on the pop up camper roof. The cradle weighs about 40 lbs, and should handle the weight ok.

15. Liighthead

Liighthead Junior Member

That will also work :p
    Again make sure u got brakes haha
    Also wondering with ur bike / trailer have u thought bout making it fit inside the boat?
    My plan was to have a normal bike ( motor would be handy ) with trailer that can be packed up in the boat ( simple design ect )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.