help motor mount help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by aggiefan07, Apr 3, 2010.

1. aggiefan07

aggiefan07 New Member

i new at this i just got my grandpas old malibu ski boat an the motor mounts that bolt into the fiberglass are broken so what do i do i have pics ill fig out how to post them on here someone plz help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aggiefan07

aggiefan07 New Member

here they are i think

Attached Files:

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I cannot really judge from the pictures, but:

1. If it is the rubber mount that is broken, the fix is relatively simple: replace the motor mount itself. Can be fiddly, but nothing too bad. Do not forget to re-align the engine after replacing the mounts.

2. For what I can see from the pictures, your engine girder once consisted of wood, glassed over with a thin layer of glass. For some reason, the wood got wet, and rotted.
    This can be a more or less nasty repair. A lot has been written about it on the forum. In any case, replacing the old structure is the key.

Before any repair, check other spots for damage as well. This sort of damage never comes alone, and in many cases just buying a used, perhaps battered or locally damaged hull could be quicker and cheaper in the end. (considering your engine is still OK, buying a boat with a jammed engine could be really nice)