Ways to suspend and turn hull

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mtnrat, Sep 5, 2006.

1. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

I am going to replace the floor and stringers as well as work on the bottom. What is the best way to suspend the hull so it can be turned. It is an 18 foot V hull sterndrive. I have a leanto shed with hugh 12"x18" beams that I can use as well as a garage with 4"x 16" glue lam beams that I can suspend from. What would be good suspension points? What about turning it over so I can more easily work on the bottom?
    Thanks

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

If your removing the stringers and other internal supports, you will want to put the hull in some sort of cradle before putting in new stringer. Without the stringers and frames, the shell of the hull could twist or "oil can".

We are at the same stage in a 22’ Aquasport we are rebuilding. I am about to put it on a “cradle” before laminating in new stringers.

I would avoid flipping it unless absolutely necessary.

Joel

3. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

Thanks. Good advice. I will build a cradle. I am a carpenter by trade so that will be easy. I was thinking of supprting crossways in four places and join these longitudinally along the planing surface of the hull with straight 4x4s. One support at the transom and move forward from there. Would that work. How would you reccomend building a cradle?

4. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

If it the hull has a constant deadrise its easy, you just build stations or "v's" and space them every 36".

If its a warped bottom, then its an little tricky. Our aquasport has a warped bottom (the deadrise angle is constantly changing), so I support it at the chine and the keel. here are some pictures, jut put it on the cradle this afternoon....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.