Help me with my design project.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by I_Dummy, May 21, 2012.

1. I_Dummy

I_Dummy Junior Member

Hello everyone, I'm designing a 47ft sailing charter for school project and it comes up with a question of building method, I'm keen to use strip-planking method but I have read the gougeon brothers book, it says that strip planking is only suitable for boat that under 30ft. however, in considering of old version of the book, i wonder if there still a length limitation for strip planking? please share your ideas with me and many thanks!

2. Harry Josey

Harry Josey Junior Member

Hi Dummy,
    Go back and read the book again. It says suitable for 30 feet and up! That means bigger than 30 feet.

3. Harry Josey

I once built a little dinghy out of a mahogany bookrack I rescued from the city dump. I ripped the planks into strips about 7mm thick and solved the problem of keeping the strips in line by driving wide crown staples across the glue line. The result wasn't as smooth as a babies bottom but it was quite tough as one of those stinky motorboat things found out when it tried to run over me.
    My current thinking is to make up strip plank cored composite panels on the bench, then use them like home made ply. Here in RSA cheap ply costs an arm and a leg, for the good stuff you'd have to de-limb your extended family.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've seen a 200' strip plank build and also a 135' strip build, so maybe review your reference materials.

5. I_Dummy

I_Dummy Junior Member

hello Harry, thank you very much for your notice and my mistake for missing that part.

6. I_Dummy

I_Dummy Junior Member

Hello PAR, thanks, that was my mistake.

7. Harry Josey

Are you going to use only strip planking or one of the methods that use the strips as a base for a composite system? In " Boatbuilding " Howard Chapelle points out that while SP is labour intensive it is highly suitable for amateur construction. Since then new glues and machines have eased the labour, but it is still better suited for amateurs and one -offs.
    Good luck with you design. Harry

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I know of about a dozen variations on strip plank methods.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.