Help Me! Jon Boat/Jet Ski Conversion Idea Bounce

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rogerdodger56, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rogerdodger56

rogerdodger56 New Member

I trout fish and as we all know, lower units and stationary rock do not play well together. I have a 1542 older grumman and a yamaha 650 wave runner jet drive I want to mate together.

I will take any input on these thoughts and any ideas. Very few websites on this subject provide useful info other than "look at what I did".

Here are my thoughts:

Maximum speed

I will make an aluminum framework for mounting the engine and jetpump that will bolt to the hull. The flatted hull of the jonboat will have more drag than that of a jet ski hull. If I mount the frame work on the outside of the hull, I could create a "pad" using "marine foam sandwhich" 24" +/- for reducing wetted surface underpower. Also idea considering is expanding bottom width with foam sandwhich and creating 2 "tunnels" on each side of pad to increase lift?!?!?! all of this should create a stiffer hull without extreme weight added.

Next is issue of ingesting sand/pebbles etc. Since the water intake/higher speeds is not a primary equation, if the jet pump water intake is widened and lengthened and an intake grate is fabricated can this offset the use of a grate with narrower slots. most aftermarket grates have a scoop or shovel to assist in directing water at higher speeds (my guess) but speed is not the issue. I want to minimize pebble ingestion - sand, well probably can't avoid.
    If I could get 20s mph I would be happy.

As a point, the grumman has issues. It is a forward and stern deck (now to minimal framework) 5 of the ribs are fractured in half where decks were not framed out (foam sandwhich to repair). I paid little for it and it came out of florida. The previous owner must have hit EVERY oyster bar in the intercoastal and it must have leaked like a sieve 'cause every rivet on the bottom had a dollop of silicone on it. I have no clue how it planned with a 100 hershey kisses on the hull.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.