Loss of power

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by slow poke, Jun 14, 2007.

1. slow poke

slow poke Junior Member

The last time I took my Bayliner Capri out it had NO POWER max speed was 15 mph, I could not figure it out?? Retracing my steps I realized that the time before my father and I had been out I was pulling the boat out and my father had realized the motor had not been lifted, well we hit bottom. I looked at it very closely and it appeared to be fine. This is the only thing I can think that has created my loss of power. After checking with local shops they are unsure it would create an issue unless it was hit super hard and affected the prop, but I do not feel this is the case. The engine is running fine, anyone have this happen before??

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

this can get a lot of guess work so what year and engine
    my guess is pre 1987 even though it runs fine check dwell
    if boats out of water checking the gearlube will conferm the drives good
    now that i said that i/o or outboard and if outboard what make and model

3. slow poke

slow poke Junior Member

1988 2.3 Cobra, smallest they made! This is a i/o stern drive, I have a plan on replacing the fuel filter today and getting the carb cleaned out as best as possible without taking it off. I guess even when th eengine runs good in neutral that when put under pressure it will not work as well, I have ran it out of water with a hose and I appear to get plenty of power but then agian no pressure of the work load. Thanks

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Is the exhuast flowing freely. My weed trimmer had the same symptoms. Turned out mud wasps had built a nest in the muffler. Just a guess.

Take care.

Tim

5. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Is the engine not running well or does the engine run ok but the boat just won't move? I kind of like the mud wasp idea - we always had the same problem with the water outlet on my dad's mercury outboard.

If the engine is ok, maybe the whack on the lower unit messed up the prop hub?

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

If he grounded it when backing into mud or clay type bottom it might of plugged. I'm definetly no expert though.

Tim

7. slow poke

slow poke Junior Member

I went over the unit last night and checked all my hoses and exhaust took the carb off and gave it a good cleaning and ran it after that, I open up the outboard part and all looked OK, I am hoping it was just the carb, I will take it out this next week and hope all is well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.