help me...concrete canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Anna Paul, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Anna Paul

Anna Paul Junior Member

sir, thank you for your suggestion and I'll work on it.

Actually I got the idea of this project from a competition conducted by American Civil Engineers Society, I've got many design papers posted by the contesting universities too.The materials and methods adopted by them is not available in my place (I'm from Kerala, India) so I have to find a different way of approach, rather than making use of their paper.That is the biggest hurdle im facing now. Im sorry if i've offended you,sir.

2. Anna Paul

Anna Paul Junior Member

sir,what you've said is absolutely right, and ive already hurt my hands.Thank you for your concern, i appreciate it.I'll do use gloves while i work on with concrete :)

3. Anna Paul

Anna Paul Junior Member

The pic shows the canoe(in ANSYS) im working on.This is where ive reached.I ve to find the forces acting on it and boundary conditions to do the rest of analysis.

Attached Files:

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Cheap material in some parts of the world. But you would want inbuilt floatation.

Attached Files:

5. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I did a google image search and seen the level of sophistication has changed quite a lot since I was in engineering school. some of the hulls look very sleek with a very thin and lightweight looking hull. I am curious about how they are reinforced. One image looks like steel cable stretch over a male mold with carbon mesh filaments before covering with mortar. I wonder what the concrete mix is composed of. most of the winning designs has very smooth hulls, very professional looking hull shapes with a smooth and shiny surface.

I also noticed that in every image where they are handling wet concrete, all had gloves.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.