davidson 44

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sweet wind, Mar 18, 2012.

1. sweet wind

sweet wind New Member

Is anyone familar with a davidson design 44 1990 ? and its sailing abilities

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The Davidson 44s here in California were IOR raceboats from the early/mid 1980s. They were not made as late as 1990, unless someone got hold of the molds after the original builder stopped making them. You can check the stern for the ID number to see what year the boat in question was actually built.

There were about 6 of them: Quamichan, Green Hungarian, Sister Divine, Heatwave, and maybe a couple of others.

They were fractionally rigged and did better in a breeze than in light air. I believe Sister Divine has been in SF for the last decade plus sailing as Infra Red. I have not seen any of the others in 20 years.

3. sweet wind

sweet wind New Member

Thanks Paul,
    This Davidson 44 was custom build by Capital Yachts in Costa Mesa. It initially looks like an IOR boat but has a very wide transom with a sugar scoop. So we're wondering if it was altered from the original race boats. Our use would be for cruising and not racing. We're hoping it's a cruiser friendly, 2-person, off-shore boat!

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The Davidson 44s did have a wide stern by IOR stabdards. They also had a really high freeboard, boxy look compared to other Davidson designs.

I believe all the 44s were built by Capital (Steve ?, who later ran things at Republic Yachts when they were building the Soverels there).

Get a good survey. No reason it couldn't be used for your purpose. Might be a handful for shorhanded cruising, especially if it still has the original rig.

5. us_26_chris

us_26_chris New Member

Infra Red is currently out of the water for paint at the Stockton Sailing club. I believe she is or is about to be for sale.

6. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Steve Austin?

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yes, him.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.