Converting a power up only windlass to power up and power down.

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by cruzahome, Jan 31, 2012.

1. cruzahome

cruzahome New Member

I have a Plath model 11 windlass that currently only powers up. I want to convert it for power down as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont know your winch details. Typically You change the rotation of the motor either with a relay for electric winches or relay valve blocks to change oil flow direction if hydraulic.

If electric ... Google it ,and you will find many schematics on the internet . Try googling INSTALLATION MAXWELL or LEWMAR then look for the wiring diagram for reversing solenoid installation . .

Contact Plath to determine the capacity of this DC reversing relay...very much current needed for a winch and haul times can be long .

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

All you have to do is replace the solenoid that came with the winch, install an up/down control box and replace the single switch with a 3-way type.
    The control box has 2 cross connected relays inside and is available from many sources. Be sure to buy one with the proper voltage a load capability.

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

does he not need to find out if its a permanent magnet or a wound field type motor first as the reversing methods are slightly different ...???

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes, that's right Pistnbroke.
    I assumed a magnet type because most small winches have that and the Plath # 11 is for 22-24 ft hulls, but it is not impossible that Plath uses a more expensive wound field motor.

So Cruzahome, exchange the black and red leads to see if the motor changes direction.
    If it does not, leave things the way they are or ask an electrician to perform a minor operation on the motor.
    I could tell you what's to be done, but since there are again two options and you posted a question no technician would, it's better not to do it yourself.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Does the windlass freewheel to deploy the anchor? If so you will need to defeat the freewheel system as well as reverse the motor.