Help Matching SOR to Available Plans for a Self-Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Doc FJ, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Doc FJ

Doc FJ New Member

Intro
    I am looking for plans to use to build a powerboat for cruising around the Pacific Northwest including the Columbia River, the Washington and Oregon coasts, and Puget Sound. The main use will be for family cruises around one or two weeks long, and some fishing and crabbing. I will be doing all of the construction myself, so I would prefer wood as those are the tools I have and what I am most comfortable with. I am leaning towards George Buehler designs, but with his death in 2018, I would have to go it on my own without any consultation, and the plans available are somewhat limited. This will be a budget build. I have seen time and again, people on this forum scoffing at anything less than $100,000; well, this will be less than that. Much less. Nothing fancy, no brightwork, basic finishes. Slow, basic accommodations, nothing pretty, but will get you there in one piece and dry.

Statement of Requirements (SOR)
    Preferences (these are all pretty flexible)
    Construction: Prefer wood plank on sawn or laminate frames, single-chine for ease of build; standard lumber and board sizes
    Size: 35-45' medium displacement (D/L ratio of 220+); less than 4' draft; less than 12' beam
    Power: 40-100 HP, single diesel in-board
    Rigging: Headsail and/or mainsail for stabilization and emergency get-home power
    Stabilization: Flopper-stoppers and/or auxiliary sail
    Range: 500-1,000 NM minimum

Requirements (not very flexible)
    Accommodations: Two cabins, full-time berths for four, prefer a double/queen and two quarter berths
    Exterior: Swim/boarding platform, cockpit with seating, optional external steering (cockpit or flybridge)
    Interior: headroom greater than 6'4" where possible, galley/dinette in saloon, separate pilot house or way to minimize light during overnight cruising, single head, engine room

Plans
    Off-the-shelf plans (not custom)
    Available in digital (CAD) format
    Some building/consulting assistance available
    Prefer not to spend more than $1,000 on plans
    ___

I hope this is enough to give an idea of what I am looking for, and I hope some of you are willing to share your ideas. I have looked at a lot of plans. From George Buehler, I like the Pilgrim and the NW Cruiser, but they lack enough accommodation. The 48' Diesel Duck looks great, but is out of my price range. There are some CMD Boat designs that come close, like the Trailer Cruiser 32, but due to the aft cabin, it lacks a swim platform, and fishing would be a bit challenging. I've also looked at Bruce Roberts' Coaster series, but not a huge fan of the sedan-style. For production boats, I really like the Seapiper 35 and Netherlands-built boats like the Vedette Navigator, though that is a much higher level of finish than I plan to have.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Have you had a look at the range of motor sailers designed by Paul Gartside?
    Gartside Boats | Motor Sailers https://store.gartsideboats.com/collections/motor-sailers

There might be something suitable designed by Jay Benford - but you have to buy the book to find out more about his trawler designs.
    Benford Design Group http://www.benford.us/index.html?trawler/

There are a few motor sailer types on Sam Devlin's page - here is the Kokanee 36 -
    Kokanee 36 https://devlinboat.com/kokanee-36/
    And the Oysta 42, but she is a bit outside some aspects of your SOR -
    Oysta 42 https://devlinboat.com/oysta-42/

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Look here there are several options to choose from: Power Boat Designs over 30'~ Tad Roberts Yacht Design https://www.tadroberts.ca/services/new-design/power/

Some unsolicited advice:
    Plan price is not really important as long as you can afford it. Much more important is a living designer able to advice you. Plus you are paying for the lofting also, not only the plans.
    With wood, single chine is not easier to build than round shapes. Single and multichine are used for sheet goods construction and planing boats, but it has nothing to do with "easy".
    Standard lumber and board sizes as used in house construction are not criteria for choosing a design.
    Forget what Buehler preached regarding wood construction. His wooden structures show he did not understand the material, they are overweight and overpriced. We live in a time where epoxy is cheaper than screws.
    Interior fit and finish are a personal preference that impact build time much more than budget. Painted plywood is not cheaper than a raised panel interior in normal priced hardwoods and more expensive than painted softwood.
    Exterior finish is about the same, you can paint once every 10 years with an expensive paint or every two years with cheap paints.
    Ask the same question on the woodenboat forum, more knowledge there about this specific topic.

bajansailor likes this.
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is your budget? A 75HP diesel with shaft, propeller, controls, etc. will cost you about $10,000.

5. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Check out the availability & price of appropriate wood. Quarter sawn/air dried wood is not always cheap & readily available.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Fairly impossible to build to meet the sor at under $100k

Mast and rigging and power systems are easily 20k.

Making a boat bluewater capable costs more. Even painting a boat that size costs like 5k-15k.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.