Help-lost the designer...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Avion, May 29, 2009.

1. Avion

Avion Junior Member

Ages ago i found this boat on the net and saved the picture but now can't remember who was it designed by. I think it's called 'Simplicity' and it was built with plywood. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I do not recognize the exact design but the hull looks like somethin the Atkins might have done. The sail plan does not look at all like Atkin stuff, nor does the ply construction. So probably not one of theirs. OK so that is probably what it is not. Very little help there eh? If PAR gloms onto this thread, it is likely that he will know better than most of us. We also have several other authorities that know many old designs. Sit tight, someone will come through for you.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I do not recognize the exact design but the hull looks like somethin the Atkins might have done. The sail plan does not look at all like Atkin stuff, nor does the ply construction. So probably not one of theirs. OK so that is probably what it is not. Very little help there eh? If PAR gloms onto this thread, it is likely that he will know better than most of us. We also have several other authorities that know many old designs. Sit tight, someone will come through for you.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

5. Avion

Avion Junior Member

Still hoping somebody will recognize this design...

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

7. amolitor

amolitor Junior Member

I think it's around 40 feet long, and I don't think it's an Atkins. Atkins drawings tend to be different in a couple of ways, and the fully battened super-roachy sails are uncharacteristic.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

9. rogerb

rogerb New Member

10. Avion

Avion Junior Member

Thank you gents for your suggestions but it's neither of those designs. From memory it's a modern day designer and he does have a quite a number of his designs listed on the web site which makes it even more puzzling to me that i can not find it again.

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Designer's name is Mark Smaalders......see the drawing here http://smaalders.net/yacht_design/drawingboard.htm

It's actually called the Simplicity 43'. The boat is very fine aft, which is partially dictated by the construction material. But a very fine stern coupled with shallow draft means she will be tender under a moderately large rig. Carbon spars would help, along with a heavily ballasted centerboard. Simplicity can sometimes get complex......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.