Surface Drive Quiries

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by Jellyfish84, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Jellyfish84

Jellyfish84 Junior Member

hi i am new to this forum. and depending on the answers i am hopeing to gain i might be new new to surface drive setups.

just wondering if a surface drive setup would be anygood in a ski boat type of application, will it pull the boat out of a hole quick towing a skier. i ask this as i am thinking of adopting this type of settup on a boat i have for which i use as a pleasure boat to go the the reef fishing and also skiing. i know it would be great on the boat for the reef part but not sure on the skiing part. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers
    jellyfish84

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No no No, it wont pull out of the hole and it is extrememly dangerous for any one or anything in the viscinity of those surface props /meat grinders.

For similar reasons absalutely useless for fishing

3. Jellyfish84

oh ok thanks for the help. i when i said fishing i meant just crusing out to the reef flat out not slow trolling etc.
    what are they like at starting off pretty slow i gather, until your on the plane.
    cheers

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Application is longer distance high speed passages for larger vessels (40 ft & 12 plus tonnes) where fuel efficiency at high constant speed is a factor, - - or - - racing performance where fuel efficiency is not significant.... Frosty has on his boat and knows Sonny Levi, a designer & manufacturer...

5. Jellyfish84

i've seen levi drives ( LD 170) for small applications, 10 to 60 hp. so they must be suitable for smaler craft. i am running 100+ hp. i have also seen it on many smaller craft. yeh fair enough the skiing idea might be out of the question but for the high speed crusing it must be a great investment. i like the idea as it has a shallow draft (with trim especially) and it saves on fuel costs.
    cheers

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sorry I was a bit short there. For what I know they do not pull well , mine certainly dont and will pull more the more they dry out and the props come clear, strange I know but they don't make Mastercraft for nothing.

100Hp is not enough for serious skiing anyway.

Surface is good for, vibration free economyand high speed .

For instance a good solid pull for tricking say 15MPH would be a pain with surface drives--nay impossible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.