Let's talk about Tugboats...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Aegis, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aegis

Aegis Guest

Hello, I am gathering some information for a project abt tugboats. From my understanding a tugboat has a high power/pulling force to weight ratio in order to manouver larger ships. Furthermore, it has multiple propellors in order to have greater degrees of motion.

However, I would like to know more information in order to supplement my meagre knowledge like what type of hull it has, planing, displacement.

Those who have experienced with tugs could you all kindly share it with me. Thank you for your help

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Can't say I've ever seen, or even imagined, a planing tug boat.

They are pretty much the opposite. Lets say, full keel.

Look on the internet. Try Google or search "tug boat" on this forum.

Look under tow boat as well.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. BBHighway

BBHighway Guest

Try Wikipedia as a good starting point. At least that will give you the basics, and provide you with links and other references to get more information.

4. Hägar

Hägar Previous Member

First i would say try to learn about the basic issues of ships and boats. A Tug can never be a planing boat.
    Many Tugs still use single props, many use NO prop, but a Voith Schneider propulsion instead. It all depends.

Hägar

5. Aegis

Aegis Guest

Thanks hagar fo pointing me into the right direction with the voith schneider propulsion system

6. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

May I ask how it isn't a Propeller? All the entires I can find on it call it Voith Schneider Propeller. Just not a traditional setup. That is like saying Helicopters fly without wings.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.