Help identifying rebuild candidate

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by EStaggs, Feb 8, 2009.

1. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

The owner has NO idea what it is. Don't have any information on the title's location. Here is what we know:

25' LOA
    8'6" Beam
    originally IO, missing now

Thats it kids. They are looking to unload it cheap, and I think it might be a good hull to completely gut and make into a coastal salmon/halibut/tuna machine. Bracketed with modest hp, a very light rebuild using just the hull, a small jump cabin forward, head in console, and close the console in fabric for the rainy days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated!

E

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It looks to have an Idaho registration number. Pull the registration from the Idaho DMV or Idaho Parks and Department of Recreation. The registration usually has a manufacture or builder section on it.

3. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

PAR, thats definitely plan B, just hoped someone might recognize her.

E

4. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

I'm thinking she's an old Glasply. Early 70s possibly late 60s.

5. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Excellent, I have had a couple others elsewhere confirm what you are thinking.

Any word on what I can expect of quality? Opinions of the boats?

E

6. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Theres my '82' 22' Glasply. With a 470 Mercruiser and large trim tabs she wasnt fast but always rock solid no matter what the weather. Glasply built very good boats. I found they hardly missed anything in design and structure. Like most any boat though these too can be plagued with stringer and transom core issues. You have a great plan and she will be a worthy sea fishing vessel.

7. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

8. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Looks like a nice boat.

Im a little concerned about the stringers, though I hear they used VG fir in the early boats. Good rot resistance, so as long as they stayed dry, there is an outside chance. Im not too concerned with setting her up on a cradle and replacing stringers, however. LVL beams or some more fir and a little 'glass wouldn't take but a week or so.

Was your boat self bailing or did it rely on bilge pumps? Id like to be self bailing, with a monster pump to back up the scuppers.

The point of the boat is to have an inexpensive offshore rig that I can tow over to Neah/Westport/Ilwaco/Depot for hallies and tuna. I hear these were good boats to do just that, as many were converted to commercial fishing boats.

Any photos or drawings of the boat are appreciated, as I can't seem to get a good shot to do drawings of just yet.

E

9. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Stringers are pretty easy. My boat relied on bilge pumps. I agree self bailing is how it should be especially if youre already rebuilding her. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to add as long as youre already digging into fiberglass. There is a "Glasply" forum that is up and going. I bet you could find line drawings there. I loved my glasply and if I were to downsize again I would find another just like her.

10. Zappi

Zappi Senior Member

Also, was thinking... Lately here in the puget sound area there have been numerous postings for cheap Glasplys that may actually be better. It's my opinion the newer designs were a bit saltier in design with a plumber bow and more flare to the bow. I think the entry is a deeper v too. Food for thought.

11. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Finally got ahold of the lady.

Its a 23 foot boat, no way to find out ownership, as it has changed hands 3 times without a title transfer. Ugh. But I do have her down to $200 with the trailer its sitting on (which is too small).

E

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.