Help identifying old wood boats?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Tealeaf7, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Tealeaf7

Tealeaf7 New Member

Hi everyone. For a bit of background, I just purchases a home “as is”, and there were lots of things left on the property which we knew would be ahead of time. An elderly man had passed away and these were some projects I think at some point he had high hopes for. We have no idea what kinds of boats these are and we’d like to try to do the right thing with them. I was hoping some of you experts could maybe tell me what some were? And if they could sell for any money? That would give us at least a starting point. Thank you in advance! :) There is also two more that I haven’t included, but maybe will at some point.

Attached Files:

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The old boats are worth quite a bit more if they have hardware or parts and nameplates or hull numbers.

Old boats are sort of a buyer's market with a few exceptions.

If there are no nameplates or info on the boats at all; then you really ought to best offer them. The one on the tandem trailer looks a bit like an old chris craft in very tough shape. The lift eye looks like the most valuable bit.

The old ribbed canoes if they are old towns are worth a bit even in tough shape - say 4-600. If they are not old towns; lightweight well built good shape ribbed canoes are still worth 300 less or more on condition.

The rib framed boats all appear as projects and you ask about 1k or best offer and hope to get 500 on poor condition.

Trailers go for zero to up to 1500 for a great condition tandem.

The biggest problem is you need to move them all and that lowers the value some.

Put them on facebook market and craigslist and take offers.

No expert, but I know what I'd pay.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. Tealeaf7

Tealeaf7 New Member

@fallguy Thank you! We were told that some of the boats had titles (no idea which ones) and we’re still kind of awaiting those. We were hoping that would give us more information but I’m thinking we may never get them. I’m hoping to get photos of the other two as well. Again, thank you. Appreciate you taking time to respond to me.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Make sure to get a bill of sale for each boat if you don't get a title. It should be a condition of purchase.

I don't know what the Massachusetts rule for older boats is, but untitled boats need some documentation with most state agencies or you have to title them as homemade which is bs if the boat has nameplate. The main thing is a new buyer will want a path to use.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

If the one planked boat was a Chris Craft or if you had a nameplate and all the hardware that goes with it, it might, note I say "might" be worth something. only if the framing was in good shape. If not it's firewood along with plywood skiff. The canoes are worth something, but not much since they're checking and it's going to take a lot of work to make the real boats again... The Chris has so much rot that it's most likely the framing is shot too... It would take a lot more work that it's worth to restore it. If you don't put a value on your time and if it was a labor of love then go for it, but old derelict boats are sitting around most places because it costs money to get rid of the them...

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

They burn on a firepit rather easily if you get no offers.

Sawzall.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.