Help Identifying Classic Wooden Boat..

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by brodgers5000, Jan 14, 2015.

1. brodgers5000

brodgers5000 New Member

My great grandfather had this boat that we have a picture of in our home. Does anyone know what type of boat this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I figured someone would be able to identify it that knows these old wooden boats better than I do.

Attached Files:

2. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

Looks like a lap strip canoe, double ender. Are those people sitting on a dock ?

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I think he means the boat in the foreground.

4. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

Just my dry humor........... Not sure about the boat. There's old copys of " Open Exhaust "magazine on the net, that may have your answer.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Haha, pleased to hear it, I was thinking you may be myopic ! :D

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The engine coaming and reverse sheer are pretty distinctive, you might research Ditchburn Boats from Ontario. Where the picture was taken would help (I see the US flag).

Boat probably dates from the mid 1920's.

7. brodgers5000

brodgers5000 New Member

Thanks for the lead..still looking

Thanks to everyone for the leads so far...I'm going to check the magazines and Ditchburn leads based on some replies though more clues are welcome in the mean time if anyone else reads the string.

The picture was taken in Eagle River Wisconsin I think in the late 30's or 40's. The boat was my great grandfather's so I'm trying to figure out what it is and my family members on that side have no clues or other pics.

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You might try consulting a series of books (7 volumes) called "The Real Runabouts" by Bob Speltz. This series was a labor of love for Speltz who was ill with severe kidney disease when he embarked on documenting the history or classic runabouts. Each volume built on the last such that there is a little bit of everything from lots of different builders spread throughout the entire series. The Antique and Classic Boat Society sells copies of each volume and also publishes an index to the series so that you can find references to different builders quickly. There are lots of old photos and brochures printed in the series, and thumbing through those books, you might find clues as to what boat your great grandfather had.

http://www.acbs.org/shipstore/books.html

I hope that helps.

Eric

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

9. brodgers5000

brodgers5000 New Member

Help with identification of boat

Thanks Eric,

I will look into that resource to see if I can find anything that resembles the boat in those books if I can get my hands on a copy. I really appreciate the help as I haven't quite found the builder/manufacturer yet.

With best regards,
    Brett

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.