Small OB remote tank conversion

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Easy Rider, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I have 2 outboards that have the fuel tank on the engine and would like to convert to a regular remote tank system. Tapping into the crankcase for pulse and installing a fuel pump would present the danger of getting metal debris (as in chips from drilling/tapping) into the crankcase. Any other ideas?

Easy Rider

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

First make sure the engines do not already have a fuel pump, because most have one, like the 4/5HP Mercury or Tohatsu.
    The "pump" is just a small addition to the carburetor with a diaphragm, using the pulsating intake vacuum to pump fuel. You find the same construction in every chainsaw, grass trimmer etc.

If your engines have none, you can install similar pumps from other outboards. Many Mercury models up to 30 HP had separate pumps until model year 2000, using the same principle.

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

CDK,
    I should have thought about you when I made the post. I have a 3.5hp Merc 4-stroke (Tohatsu) so I'll check. Thanks sooo much CD.

Easy

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

With my eyes closed.... a small Hitachi carb with a diaphragm against the float chamber?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.