Help ID This Sailboat ??

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by AppleValley_Jim, Oct 2, 2011.

1. AppleValley_Jim

AppleValley_Jim Junior Member

I am very interested in buying this sailboat to restore. The seller believes it is a 25ft Luger. My findings are that Luger didn't make a 25ft sailboat and did not make of offer a Fin Keel ??? Can someone ID this hull design ?? My Thanks in advance. Jim.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. AppleValley_Jim

Help Me ID This Sailboat Please

Luger 25.jpg

I am very interested in buying this Sailboat to restore.
    The seller believes this is a 25' Luger.
    My findings are that Luger didn't offer a 25' sailboat. Luger did offer a 26' Tradewinds, it doesn't look like this sailboat.
    Also, Luger didn't offer a Fin Keel, only swing keels.

Can someone help me identify this sailboat please ??

My Thanks In Advance .. Jim

3. deltabravo60604

deltabravo60604 New Member

I did a search on Luger sailboats and found pics of a Luger 26 where the hull looks similar. You're right about the fin keel -- probably not a standard Luger keel -- but I suppose someone could have bolted on a quarter tonner keel. I build a Luger Seabreeze 16 and it was a good learning experience. If I had put a fin keel on, it would have required some serious strengthening. Lugers were a clever idea but were essentially a "skin" that required adding core and an inner layer of 'glass for strength. Mid-'70s production boats had that, too.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Look at the Vessel Identification Number (VIN). it will have a 3 letter Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC) at the beginning. Then you can go to this site and look it up.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx

5. AppleValley_Jim

UPDATE -- ... This Sailboat is a 26' Tradewinds 1981 PopTop. It is a project, but very do-able ! I went back to the seller, took a few more photos and re-evaluated it... Pink Slip (Calif Title) was very good... Trailer Pink Slip Okay also... bottom line is, the Seller Donated Me This Boat & Trailer and I LOVE IT. It is a project, but not too bad at all. I will keep posting photos as I can of the Before & After pics.

This is a Fin Keel sailboat. I have Not located any other photos on the internet of a Fin Keel Luger. Keel has some rust, I'll have to learn how to repair that.

I am excited and looking forward to the restoration.

Thanks To All Again. Jim.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.