Help-hullmaster 27 Question: Solid Or Balsa Cored Hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by viking north, Jul 6, 2016.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I am presently in the early stages of purchasing a 1976 Hullmaster 27 but have run into a problem on it's hull construction. First a little company history: From what I could gather the Hullmaster 27 is listed as Brewer-Wallstrom design contracted by Hullmaster Yachts of Picton Ont. Can. The company president was Roy Brooks with his son Ray acting as vice. pres. and overseeing finances.(I list these names in hope that someone out there might give me info. on how to contact them to help solve the riddle below.) The company also manufactured the Hullmaster 31 from which the Hullmaster 27 was cloned. Apparently the design and development costs of the 27 was blamed for depleting the companies operating funds to such an extent that it never recovered and resulted in bankruptcy some 4 years later. However during that period both the HUllmaster 27 and 31 were manufactured and sold.
    RIDDLE: Advertisements in the annual publication of "Cruising World" state that both the 27 and 31 make use of balsa cored hulls however "Naval Marine Archives" completely contradicts this by specifically stating that " the hull was not cored but was constructed with a solid glass layup with both the deck and cabin making use of balsa coring.
    While not a deal breaker before proceeding with a survey and purchase i would like to know exactly what i am dealing with in order to come up with the best inspection techniques. I do not have the option of taking a hull core sample but i possibly can pull a thru hull. However even this might not answer my question if the hull is cored and constructed properly. I.E. no coring or plywood cored around all hull penetrations. All info and advise would be greatly appreciated , Tnx. Geo.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Assuming the sailboat,so I ran it in google and in 5 seconds found that Ted Brewer was the designer.

Seems to be still alive,ask him:

http://www.tedbrewer.com/

Production boats by Ted Brewer include designs built by Aloha, Aragosa, Cabotcraft, Cape Yachts, CCC, Constellation, Douglas, Goderich, Fort Myers, Hullmaster, Huromic, Jason, Kanter, Mao Ta, Mariner, Morgan, Murray, Nimble, Pan Oceanic, Olympic, Ouyang, Union, and Whitby.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thank You West I'll give it a go and buy you a beer on my trip out your way next year :D Geo.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

4. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Hello, I am looking at a hull master 27 tomorrow to possibly purchase. Did you find out if the hull is cored or not?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.