What's the Industry Size???

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Martinnchee, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Martinnchee

Martinnchee New Member

I'm trying to estimate how many units of new small/medium boats are being built each year in EACH Country in ASEAN (South East Asia) + China & India.

If you are able to make a rough estimation for 1 country that you know well, or for 1 type of boat that you know well (fishing boat, yacht, small passenger ferry, sailing boats, tugs, barges, trawlers, junk, pleasure crafts, etc.. anything that you might know) , then just post your wild guess here.

Hopefully we can see enough responses from all of you, so that at the end of the day, we can all see a reasonably accurate overall picture of the Industry size in ASEAN + China & India.

The reason I'm doing this is that data for these countries is extremely difficult to find, unlike data for more developed countries. I have been looking for many weeks, and trust me, it's really very difficult to find such data.

2. Martinnchee

Martinnchee New Member

for china, i think there are about 2,000 units of yachts (small and medium) being built annually, based on some figures i collected from individual builders

3. bhabanism

bhabanism Junior Member

Not in India man! Still India is far behind in this field.

4. Martinnchee

Martinnchee New Member

India Boat Builders

from the internet, I can only find a couple of boat builders in India (Matha Marine, Craftway Engineers, Bristol Boats, Samudra Shipyard, Wadia Boat Builders, West Coast Marine). Not sure about their size, but I guess each of them build less than 20 sizeable (~>20ft) boats/yr?

5. bhabanism

bhabanism Junior Member

hey but it's not that small. There are lots of shipyards too building cargo ships, naval ships and few passanger crafts.

6. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Try asking the people at the 'International Boat Industry Magasine'. It's always full of surveys about the boat industry in various countries around the world.

Their website is: www.ibinews.com

7. rahiim68

rahiim68 New Member

indian industry is big. they manufacture about 1000 midsize & large sizxe boats by the 2 builder in india alone. we got growth hapenning now, seems luxury boat segment is about to explode. Most suitable time for yacht manufacturers to be in india

8. rahiim68

rahiim68 New Member

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.