Help, History of an obscure riveted runabout.

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by sorefeet, Oct 25, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, that's my point. There was nothing so startling and horrible about the man's signature that everyone needed to lay into him about it, instead of talking about the boat....:)

Since you aren't a native English speaker, I'm not sure you're aware that 'illegal alien' is the legal and proper term for someone who isn't in the US legally; it's the one used in our laws and in our courtrooms. But news outlets and activists have decided it's somehow politically incorrect and racist, so they've been substituting the euphemism 'undocumented immigrant.'

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Thanks for your consideration for me not being a native English speaker which sure can lead to misunderstandings. So thanks for any extra explaining for me and other readers in the same situation. In this case I knew and you already explained it here...
    My point however is not against Sorefeet's first sig as I haven't seen it as it was already replaced by an other one as I said here....
    As said before, my point is . . . . .
    Question is why Sorefeet chooses to distract from his own topic :confused:

And post#44 makes me think Sorefeet's lack of interest in his own topic is absolutely repugnant . . . . . .

But that's his own choice too :p

Cheers,
    Angel

3. Angélique

There was talking about the boat, see sum up in post#44, but Sorefeet ignored them all . . . . .

Again his own choice, but why complaining about no interest then . . . . . . :confused:

Cheers,
    Angel

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, my opinion is that Sorefeet is a bit of a troll, and deliberately used a signature he knew would put some backs up. That doesn't mean we all had to cooperate so thoroughly, and take the bait. I think that if Gonzo had just let it lay, instead of reacting in a knee-jerk fashion and calling Sorefeet a bigot, Sorefeet might not have sidetracked into defending his signature instead of sticking to the subject.

[​IMG]

5. Angélique

OK, let's see if we can get this back on track, maybe even Sorefeet will cooperate . . ? ?

This one is available in many places and might have the info too... - - - (see also post#24)

Tail Fins and Two-Tones: The Guide to America's Classic Fiberglass and Aluminum Runabouts.

[​IMG]

Good Luck!
    Angel

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If someone tries to sneak political propaganda in the thread, it is his and no one else's fault if he receives comments about it. However, sorefeet complains that there is no freedom of speech because other members disagree with his political position and his ignorance of history.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Ok, third time today. A new record for me; I generally go months without using it.;)

[​IMG]

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Along those lines... I was once given an outboard boat that was a take-off of a 57 Chevy: same fins, same trim, even a Chevy-style dashboard and Naugahyde two-tone upholstery. And I rounded up a contemporary outboard for it, which only needed a water pump to run.

Unfortunately, I was broke at the time. I wound up taking a Sawzall to it and a few other things and throwing them in a dumpster, to get a Country inspector off my back. She insisted that on 1 1/2 acres I was only allowed 60 square feet of outdoor storage. She was wrong, but I didn't have the time and money to fight her in court -- or the money for buildings and storage sheds.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

OK, I'll leave the dead horse alone ;)

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

God, you guys have some weird rules. A person near me has more than 60 old cars, trucks etc resting gently on his property, all visible from the road. Nobody cares.... well, somebody probably does, human nature being what it is, but it's all good. I look on it as a locally available source of steel should I need some.

PDW

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Reminds of of a cartoon I saw once, where an old farmer in overalls was telling an irate, overdressed lady, "and I'll thank you ma'am, to stop referring to my spare parts repository as an environmental eyesore."

That sort of BS is what happens when city folks move to the country, and try to bring the city with them. They don't understand that the reason people like me are here is to avoid idiots like them, who want to tell everyone what color their house can be painted, how high their fences can be, and what they can do on their own land.

I used to be a tract superintendent, and one of the tracts I supervised construction on was billed and sold as 'horse properties.' It had over-sized lots, horse trails, and proper zoning for animals. But when one of the homeowners actually bought a horse, three of his neighbors were horrified to find that horses crap on the ground, draw flies, and hang their privates in public for children to see.

They landed in my construction office, threatening to sue the horse owner, the developer and me if I didn't make the horse go away. I basically told them to go pound sand (in polite terms, of course); they didn't have a legal leg to stand on. But one of them actually wasted a fair amount of money on a lawyer before giving up.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I live in a city because it gives me the right to complain about barking dogs and trash left laying around.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I learned to tune out barking dogs when I was a kid -- along with crowing roosters and the like. And I don't care how trashy my neighbor's place gets, as long as it stays there

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

To each its own. I do disapprove of city people moving to the country and then complaining about country folk.

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

WRT the dogs, that's what rifles were invented for. Using them on trash dumpers is illegal though perhaps not immoral. Having a boat and ready access to deep water would help in that regard - tidying up the trash.

Around here, the definition of a feral cat is crystal clear too.

It's a cat on our (my & my neighbours') property.

I live in a rural area because I want to have a big workshop, space, make noise, keep pallets of lead, steel, bricks etc outside, park as many vehicles as I can afford anywhere I please and build stuff to my heart's content.

Try running a sandblaster in suburbia. Or an angle grinder 8 hours a day for a week or so.

Everyone round here makes noise - chainsaws, tractors etc. We all knock it off around dark. Prices are going up and my biggest fear is an invasion by urban refugees moving out to enjoy the peace & quiet of country living. No such thing and never has been but it doesn't stop them trying to inflict it on the original residents.

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.