help getting this to work

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Knox, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Knox

Knox Junior Member

i worked out the size of the floats to be 6 feet long 3 feet tall and about 3.7 in think and i am 148 lbs
    were can i find the weight of aluminum tubing?

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I went for 8ft because that is the standard length of foam sheets. May as well go as long as you can as it will reduce wave drag and there will be a good amount of both viscous and wave drag.

Aluminium has a density of 2700kg/Cu.m,

40mm tube 3mm thick weighs 0.94kg/m. This around what you will need at a miniumum.

Rick W.

3. Knox

Knox Junior Member

8 foot is a good idea now that i think about it on the fact of saving money!
    so only 3 sheets insted of 6 cool
    new card board model to come

4. Knox

Knox Junior Member

5. Knox

Knox Junior Member

what if you made the bow hull 8 feet long insted of the 6 feet long that would stop the frount from going down as much

6. Guest625101138

I am not making anything.

You need to decide the design parameters. I thought 17kts would be reasonable. If you want to go faster than this then there are better configurations.

Rick W.

7. Knox

Knox Junior Member

i know i am just thinking online

8. Guest625101138

Knox
    I believe you have a workable concept.

The next logical step would be to set out what you want to do with this boat. Things like its intended purpose, the estimated displacement, target speed, target weight, budget cost etc.

Once you have this you can build a scale model to better appreciate the construction challenges and observe sailing performance.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.