Transom repair advice

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Flying Flivver, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Flying Flivver

Flying Flivver Junior Member

I’m starting my first transom repair and would like some advice.

I have 6 oz. Cloth, marine grade plywood, and epoxy at my disposal.

I am planning on altering the shape of the transom in an arched shape all the way to outside of the hull and adding braces from the back of the sponsons up to the top of the transom.

The existing skin thickness is about 2 mm of mat. The plywood is rotten and will be replaced.

My angle of attack would be to leave most of the inner skin intact except for the damaged part at the top.

Then remove the outer skin leaving a 3 inch flange around the perimeter. The outer skin is not in good enough shape to reuse.

Then remove all existing wood and replace with two pieces of ply each set at opposing 22 1/2 degree angles to the LWL according to the new shape prime coat them with epoxy and bond it to the inner skin with lightly filled epoxy applied with a notched trowel and clamp it.

Then glass it with 9 layers of 6 oz. Alternating 0 degrees and 45 degrees. Fill the weave fair and finish.

I also plan on adding aluminium plates on the front and back through bolted with compression tubes.

IMG_0663a.jpg

2. Flying Flivver

Flying Flivver Junior Member

I just want to know if what I’m planning on sounds reasonable if there are any flaws in method, or if there are any better ways of doing it. If it is an appropriate laminating seclude.

I appreciate any advice offered

thanks