Help-forward control chooses reverse OMC Stringer 3.8

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by rosbullterrier, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rosbullterrier

rosbullterrier Junior Member

I have finished the rebuild and installation of x2 Stringer 3.8 OMC's (1981) - everything in working order.
    However, the starboard helm remote lever pushed forward engages reverse instead of forward and when pushed back it engages forwards - bit awkward for lining up the two throttle controls to propel in the same direction and I am getting desperate.
    After much thought, I can't see how altering the helm control lever or the cables/idler pulley in the shift converter housing would change the direction of pull.
    However after looking at the service manual pictures of the shift housing in the gearbox, I don't really see how that could have been installed wrongly either. The cable end pucks are different sizes and so not interchangable. I don't want to lift the boat from the water and dismantle the outdrive if that could not be the problem . . .

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is the propeller the right turn?

3. rosbullterrier

rosbullterrier Junior Member

No sir - this is the old Stringer OMC setup with both right hand props, compensated, I hope, by trim tabs at the rear of the anti ventilation plate.

I have been told there might be a difference between the gearchange setups; it is a 1981 boat but the port box could be a 1983/4. This side has an external anode in the gearcase.
    The earlier gearbox has a oil pump assisted shift mechanism whereas the later box has a more straightforword push/ pull setup.
    Now, there has been a suggestion that one or the other system creates a reversal of the cable action.
    This is where I am dumbfounded. Whether the shift converter housings have been wrongly swopped around? There is nothing in the book discussing this possible problem.
    Andy

I know you chaps would happily only use the Stringer system for anchorage weights, but in the UK I'm a bit stuck for choice. (horrendous diesel equivalent, price petrol, etc)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.