Coosa alternatives

Discussion in 'Materials' started by comfisherman, May 25, 2022.

1. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Anyone use the Coosa alternatives? My supplier is about 4x farther out on Coosa than an offbrand equivalent, anyone have any experience with any of the blue water 20 and 26 clones? Think it's got some goofy name like "space age" or some such deal.

Normally like to just use the original innovators but weeks vs. Months would be nice.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Used corelite board and aquaplas. Get it heavy enough density for the work planned.

3. comfisherman

Interesting, I'll look up the core lite and see how hard it's to get on this coast.

Initially I was referring to direct clones to Coosa, but any direct ply replacement would do.

4. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

My understanding is Coosa and the offbrands are all made from the same base material. There was some kind of plant problem and production was halted for some time. I waited over 3 months for two sheets of 3/4" 26. They are taking care of the big customers first.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Express Composites in Minneapolis may have some. If you want cheaper shipping; not sure if they will cut.

6. comfisherman

In the volume I'd need it's gonna be ltl no matter what. I'll give them a look, the parent company website was fairly vague but left a message with them anyway.

7. comfisherman

Yup they had an issue in early 21, lead times improved but are still running a bit over 3 months. Have a fellow who wants a deck and aft bulkhead done like I did on my last boat, we used 25 or 30 sheets all in total and my boat is smaller than his. We have such a short window between the end of the season and cold I'm concerned a Coosa delay of just a few weeks could scupper the project.

8. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Hire a NA to run some calculations on whatever foam core is in stock. You will end up with a thicker skin then on coosa, but it's often cheaper overall if you don't pay for the labor.

9. comfisherman

Eh... our projects make a naval architects eye twitch... but not many architects understand a sleep deprived crewman bouncing 6xs off the deck.

10. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

No need to understand much, you supply the laminate schedule for coosa and ask for same properties using another foam.

11. comfisherman

Tried a bit today chasing down corelite, no Mas. So going to have an outfit ship a Coosa clone from an offbrand to test.

12. comfisherman

Figure I'd do a self follow up on corelite.

It's currently available in 3/4 inch only, no stocking distribution outside Florida and east Canada. Minimum order is 5 sheets from the Florida distribution center. Kinda a lot to order to test a segment.

All in I'll probably stick with Coosa as the cost difference per sheet Wil only be a few thousand saved on a six figure project, as wel my Coosa pimp says the last order was 4-5 weeks from order to delivery. Maybe next time I'm in FL I'll find a chunk to put through its paces.

On the upside the company sells some high density foams that look like good replacements for h-120.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.