Help extending?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Matt.D, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Hi all , does anyone have and links for any info on extending a power boat hull that is an old glass over ply construction? thanks Matt

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Yes but still no helpfull advice!!! Just lot of opinons!

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i know theres a couple in here,,,i've explained it a couple times,,,and why do you want links? instead of what we do? is there a difference in the advice?wow,,im just full of questions,, like,, how much do you know about glassing? about boats? how far you extending? what is your wife wearing?,never mind that last one,, i'll use my imagination

5. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Well a if u have already explained it then a copy of the explaintion would b helpfull. Otherwise a link to a web site with some hard evidence in the form of pic and specs is needed before i just take it as fact that u with ur smart *** comments acualy knows what ur talking about! and i destroy a good hull!

Everyone has a load of opinions some that contridict the other ,so yes a lot of difference in advice and nealy all by people how have never done a hull extention!
    Wich brings me to the questions like have u had any hands on experince with this if so send me some pics so i can get an idea or r u just one of the many with loads of ideas and opinions?
    I know enough about glassing to know that if it was a solid glass hull i would of just cut it in half made a slip mould and done it already!
    I want to extend it 1.2 mt and it has to b strong enough to mount a pod on the transom for a 225hp outboard.
    I know enough about boats to just finished building a 62foot houst cat. That was just valued by the surveyor at $895,000 aus.
    For the record she is in the shower so u WILL have to use ur imagination!
    Matt

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

smart *** comment? what in the world are you talking about?dont be so "retentive" over ya question, i was asking you VERY legitimate questions to be able to answer yours. and opinions are like STATS,, SPECS, and SCIENTIFIC DATA,,they ALL contradict each other. so guess my smart *** could never help you SPEC. people. my background and pics of my work cane be seen on the hinckly yachts web page, morriss yachts,ellis custom boats,able marine builder of custom sailing yachts.but no specs,,so sorry to waste your time,,and have a GREAT day ;)
    and P.S. i've built dingy's worth about as much as that little cat ;)

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Sheesh, Matt – do you really expect people to help you with that attitude?

8. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Mate i did answer all the legitimate questions and enen the nonlegitimate ones! Cant quite see how u can make the link from ones opinions to SCIENTIFIC DATA!
    Still waiting on the copy of the formentioned explaintions tho ???
    And dont want to burst ur bubble my friend but there is a large leap form working for a mulitmillion dollar company to designing and building a 62foot Dingy! in ur backyard ; ).

I was kinda hopeing that on a boat building forum that boat builders might have some pics of there handy work in relation to my question.
    I take my hat off to the 150 people that clicked on my thread and realised that they didnt have any usefull info that i could use and didnt feel the need to waste my time or theres with ide sarcasms. Perhaps u might want to look at signing up to Facebook for any further urges of release. : )

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um matey,,your answers didnt come until AFTER your smartass,,and look at those hinckly's and morriss's and ellis and the apogee sail boats,,,,dont tell me ANYTHING about working in a multi million $ yard....i've never built on a boat less then 2.3 mill. like i said...that LITTLE thing of yours is nothing,,as for all the info ya looking for "!"
    i love ya bragging bout that BIG yard that designs and all that but ya cant finger out how ta do a simple thing as extend a hull
    well hope ya find all them specs. have a GREAT day ;)

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was one of the 150 people that clicked on to it and read it.

I was going to say something but since you warned that you didnt want lame *** ideas from people that know nothing and to waste your time with sarcasm,- I decided best not to.

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I truly hope you act like that everywhere. With any luck, you won't get any help from anywhere.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Arrrgh there be allthe dastardly pirats of the kingdom of Neptune Arrrghhhh
    Hoooik ptheeew...... ting

13. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Matt.D,

What's happened here is that you've asked for quick, easy info to help you complete an incredibly complex, risky, and expensive job. You've asked for expert evidence to back up the advice of people who, in many cases, are in fact the experts you are seeking. You want links to sites and papers that describe how it is done.

There is a reason people don't generally extend old hulls. It can, if done without careful calculation and planning (which requires some expertise, more than I have for sure), completely destroy the boat's ability to serve as the boat it was meant to be, and can put it at risk of breaking up in a seaway.
    So the few naval architects who know how to make it work, won't just toss out a few tidbits here and there- they'll either charge you for what it costs to do the redesign properly, or will advise against it, or will just stay out of the fray completely. They don't want to give advice that they know will be misused.

I see a few obvious routes for you:
    (1) Enjoy the boat as it is, and don't risk destroying it on an unproven modification.
    (2) Hire an NA experienced in hull retrofitting to evaluate whether it is possible, and if so, how to do it.
    (3) Keep getting flustered and impatient on the forum, do the work yourself to your own design, and take a significant chance that the result will either suck or sink.

14. Matt.D

Matt.D Junior Member

Thanks marshmat for ur no nonsense response mate. Thats all i wanted in the first place.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Although Marshmats post is absalutely true I cant help but suspect that his post would not have been accepted had it been post number -2

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.