back deck advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by akfish, May 9, 2014.

1. akfish

akfish New Member

finally have to re-do my back deck on my Olympic sprayed fiberglass on marine plywood have to scrape off the fiberglass and treat the wood any recommendations on coatings I was thinking of using a bed liner material?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Truck bed liner will not save punky wood, so if your deck is wet and has some rot in it, from the lousy previous 'glass job, you'll need to make repairs or replace the bad stuff first.

Truck bed liner can work, but it's not exactly cheap and can be subject to the same problems a 'glass deck has (punctures, abrasion, etc.).

4. akfish

akfish New Member

thanks for the replys

The wood isn't punky but I do have some areas that are de-laminated on the plywood going to use CPES and fixit to provide some build up then fiberglass to finish was thinking of two paint products Carboguard 635 as an undercoat and then follow up with Carbothane 133 HB as a finish coat. Any one use these products before?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

CPES isn't going to do anything except eat up money for watered down epoxy (it's about 30% epoxy, the rest evaporates out). Use real, straight up, 100% solids epoxy and get what you pay for instead.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.