FAST2011 Conference Papers (Track B and C) Available

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Leo Lazauskas, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Cheers Leo.

Even I've been referenced in one of the papers...so they can't be bad :D

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Thanks Leo, um, so I did my homework reading for tonight (the first paper). What does ROA stand for? I can usually puzzle out or look up these things, but that one has me stumped.

It's been a banner day for me asking silly questions. I replaced a bunch of hydraulic hoses on a piece of equipment today and wanted to fill the hydraulic resevoir back up when I was done. I couldn't find the dipstick anywhere. Had to call the bloody dealer and ask where it was. It was in the cab- not where I was looking for it.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Response Amplitude Operator.

Basically it is a way of measuring how good or how bad your vessel is in a seaway. Simplistic explanation..if you have a wave of unit 1....as a ratio, what unit response do you get. It means for a wave of 1m what does the RAO show? If it shows a unit value of 2, you get 2 times the movement....so the lower the response, at a given frequency, the better.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Thanks Leo,

Much interesting stuff there......the Transonic hull, the Netherlands Lifeboat design, Transport Factor, Ferry Design trends, and the discussion of the EEDI (Energy Efficency Design Index) is all absorbing reading.......

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I haven't got to that one yet.
    It was amusing to see Michlet cited in one paper.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.