help/carpet glue

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 75HUSTLER, Jun 24, 2006.

1. 75HUSTLER

75HUSTLER Junior Member

i starting to restore my 75 hustler jet boat. I got it gutted but cant get the carpet peeled from the floor and strigers. any help will help. thanks.

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Heat Gun

Have you tried an industrial quality heat gun? Available at Home depot, etc. These dudes are very hot, so go slowly and raise the temperature of the adhesive without setting the boat or carpet on fire.

Once you get a corner up from the hull surface, you can direct the airflow onto the adhesive itself and then it starts to come off quite quickly. Wear gloves to prevent getting a burn and watch where you set the gun when changing positions.

Absolutely not around fuel lines, fuel tanks or anything that is highly combustible in nature.

Second idea would be a squirt bottle of lacquer thinner which will dissolve the adhesive enough to get the carpet off the hull.

In both cases, you'll have a nice amount of glue residue left behind.

Not a fun job.

Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.