Help? Abbate family and boat building in the 50s

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by BMW Pete, Dec 3, 2011.

1. BMW Pete

BMW Pete New Member

Dear All,

Firstly great forum guys, I have spent a couple of hours reading through some of the info you have here, wow! seriously interesting stuff going in boat building today.

Anyway, I am clutching at straws because I do not know where to ask this question and I apologise if this is totally the wrong place.

I am a car guy and have a fairly decent size collection of BMW motorsport I have never owned a boat and although I like them and enjoy the
    Hydroplane racing in Seattle (where I live) every year and the Americas cup, beyond that I am a complete "no nothing" on the subject.

I like speed, cars and I love beautiful things, so while at a Bonhmas auction in Munich this October I fell in love with a BMW boat made for Helm Gloeckler in the late 50s (Porsche racing fame and BMW distributor in Frankfurt) http://boats.woodenboat.com/?p=2298 and purchased it. Now, no doubt some of you will think its "an odd ball" and have no interest, but maybe, just maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction.

Here is my weird quest, I am looking for any information or books, in any language on the Abbate family and its boat building, but especially
    its time in the 50s when this boat was built. I have found one reference in a car description of a Ferrari car engine used by Achille Castoldi in a boat in the early 50s and beyond that I know absolutely zero.

Appreciate any leads you can give me.

Thanks

Peter

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. BMW Pete

BMW Pete New Member

Thanks Hoyt,

Nice to know they are still about.

Peter

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome to the forum.

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Of course, I think you were out of your mind to buy it to begin with. But don't take that personally; if we were all sane, no one would be able to sell pleasure boats.:p

Looks like a beautiful boat, and considering its pedigree it should be loads of fun. What kind of shape is it in? Was it a project boat when you bought it, or ready for the water?

edit: I just looked at Hoyte's link, which shows the Abbate family is still in business. Since they value their heritage enough to maintain their own museum, I"m willing to bet they'd be immensely pleased and extremely helpful if you contacted them directly.

6. BMW Pete

BMW Pete New Member

Hi Troy,

"out of my mind" :) well at least you and the wife agree. Believe it or not, I have been called that once or twice in my life and thankfully never taken it personally....... probably has something to do with it being true:).

Boat is in stunning restored condition, so more than ready for the water.

Thanks

peter

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

One of the wonderful things about wives is their unflagging, unconditional moral support.

I have an old 1970's Astrocruiser my father-in-law gave me, with a Mercruiser stern drive powered by a 235 Chevy. It's basically sound and runs like a bat out of Hell, but desperately needs a paint job and some new upholstery. When I pulled the boat into the yard behind my beat-up old Jeep she came out to look at it, and walked a circle around Jeep and boat in complete silence.

I asked, "well? what do you think?" And she replied, "wonderful. Now we're the Beverly Hillbillies of the boating set, too." :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.