My project - Construction of a F9AX composite trimaran - 31ft

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by filiperosa, Aug 14, 2012.

1. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello,

I was convicted to start build my boat around eight years ago. After a few years and some plans review, I decided to go with the wider Farrier F9A (aft cabin version), since is the biggest boat I can afford and the fact that I can build all parts by myself, the foldable floats, internal and external areas and performance.

I was lucky enough to find an owner that would sell me unused plans for a fraction of the cost (Ed Wojtecki from Canada). Also, in the mean time also got plans from Kurt Hughes, Wharram, Mike Waller, Van de Stadt and Bruce Roberts.

My lifetime project is to build a boat to live aboard and cruise on it. Already had a Wharram Tanenui 28 a few years ago. It was a great boat but, too narrow inside for me.

It was being difficult to start building it because my monthly salary is around 700 euros per month. At this moment I already got a shared place near my work and some materials. Right now I have the float frames and will start to line up them.

My intention is to share my project here with the community and also hope to learn much as possible. I also would like to build a wing mast for it. Already have some information, however, not specific to this model. If someone could help me on this I would really appreciate.

Would like to thank you to rxcomposite for the time he spends with me determining stresses analyses and material compatibility and to Herman for the technical help and the possibility to have a good bunch of materials at a very affordable prices.

Will keep this topic updated.

Regards,

Filipe

1 person likes this.
  2. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Some photos of the float bulkheads using 80kg/m3 foam epoxied with 600gsm fiber each side. Vacuum at -10% of normal atmosphere using bubble wrap and covering plastic.

Attached Files:

3. Pjitty

Pjitty Junior Member

Hey Filipe, I looked at the same plans. I like the buble wrap idea, I guess the bubbles go on the inside against the resin/fabric for easy airflow during vacuming. pretty ingenious...

Joe D

4. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hi Joe, yes, and you can reuse them. A few more pics. I started to build the mold for the amas.

Attached Files:

5. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Mold completation and planking of the first float half

Attached Files:

6. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

some more photos, glassing the inside

Attached Files:

7. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

inside reenforcements

Attached Files:

8. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Bulkheads in place

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

last coat of epoxy and removal of the first float half. Not perfect but not bad for a first time.

Attached Files:

10. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Planking the second float half

Attached Files:

11. groper

groper Senior Member

looks great mate, how did you go with the strip planking?

Did you use a heat gun to help bend it?
    Can you tell us how you went about the putting the foam on?

Keep up the good work :)

12. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello Groper,
    Thank you for the message. Yes, I used a 2000watts heat gun to heat the foam a little whille bending.
    I just finished the second half and I can say that the result is much better than the first one. Will try to place some photos here to show. The first half had some small differences in the connections. This one is almost all smooth. You need to have some pacience heating the foam since is very easy to break it.

13. groper

groper Senior Member

indeed, the reason i asked is because when i tried to do the same, it was difficult to get each strip the same as the previous and the result was not very fair - in the end i gave up on the idea... do you know any tricks to make this easier?

14. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

My mold is not a good one, will try to work more for the main hull mold, but it is important that the longitudinal wood strips keep the angle from the aft to the forward of the mold. In this way the foam starts to bend in the same place.

I noticed that the bigger is the strip, the more unfair it will be. Smaller strips will go easier. In one place I broke 3 strips before I decided to reduce the size to half and after it went ok.

In some places the foam is not placed in the vertical, lined with the mold frames/sections, you need to curve them a little and cut a small part in the tips so that in the center you do not have any gap.

In some 2 or 3 points where the strip was a little down in the juction I used a spare piece of foam and placed behind in contact to the floor to lift up a little before the internal fiberglassing. It works great.

I think you will find what works better for you with experience. This second half is much better than the first one and I spend maybe half the time. I just fiberglass it inside this Saturday (will try to take some photos today) and I was suprised how it went good.

15. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

photos

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.