Help needed Chrysler 45hp ignition switch

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Jorda, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jorda

Jorda New Member

I have a Chrysler 45hp outboard the ignition switch was broken I have brought a universal switch (not sure if it will work!) I have a diagram for the old ignition but unsure on what wires are what and where they would go on new ignition switch any help would be much appreciated

(New to boating)

Thanks I’m advance

Attached Files:

2. MARKALFREDSTEELE

MARKALFREDSTEELE Junior Member

Good Question .
    Magnetos are a bit different than regular 6 or 12 volt DC Wiring . Your 45 Chrysler is a bit of a Dinasaur , even the Chrysler People may not know if that Aftermarket Ignition Switch will work .
    Green Red Yellow , no indication of Hot Leads or Ground Leads .
    What you first must do is this : Put the matching Key in it , and swivel it through every one of it's Point Contacts , test ( with a cheap Multi Meter ) ,
    when it Switches any one of them off , and either mark or jot down what position the Key is in , when the corresponding Wire ( lead wire ) goes to zero contact ( open circuit ). This Grounds the Magneto , turns it off .
    Now , with two of the available Ignition Leads Identified as " Magneto Grounds " , or " Open Circuit to Mag One and Mag Two , attach the two to the corresponding Hot Lead on the actual Magneto .
    Now , assuming the New Switch will mount in the Old Panel , make the Switch Hot , that is , locate which would most likely be the 12 VDC Ignition
    ( Power to Switch ) Hot Wire , and attach to this tab your 12 VDC Chrysler Ignition Power .

DogCavalry likes this.