Design Books

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am working on a ship hull suvery/inspection software program. I am looking for any books that would be a good source for describing hull design. I'd like a book that had some good visuals of ships including information on all the outer hull numbering such as frame numbers and waterlines, etc.

I'd also be very thankful for any websites/companies that might be able to give me this kind of information.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gregory Kaufman

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Frame spacing & numbering

Typical frame spacing on ships is 24" or 610mm, though it varies. 20" or 508mm is also common, as are spacings in between. Frame 0 (zero) is typically at or near the rudder post, and they are numbered from there forward. Negative numbers are typically used for frames aft of the rudder post. While this is the norm, there are lots of exceptions where the frames have been numbered in some other way.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator

--- begin shameless plug ---

I'll also mention our list of books, most of which are linked to Amazon (where you can see customer reviews and also buy used copies of some books.)

http://boatdesign.net/directory/books/

--- end shameless plug ---

5. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.