Peelply

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Yukon, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Yukon

Yukon Junior Member

Almost finished a C4 canoe made in Corecell and CF. After the laminating process I used peelply, but where I had an overlap of the peelply, now you see a small line and on some places I have some small bubbles of epoxy. Before I'm gonna apply a second (fill) coat of epoxy I want the hull very smooth. I can't find that much information how to sand and clean carbon fibre after removing peelply so I hope there is somebody here on the forum who can help me

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

One of the benifits of using peal-ply is that it leaves a surface ready for the next layer without needing to sand. You could use 120 on a small block to ease any ridges.

I don't know your definition of small bubbles. I use a hand held counter sink bit to open small bubbles.

3. Yukon

Yukon Junior Member

I sanded a small part with 150 grid and when I make it wet, I see the nice carbon look, so I guess, when I apply the second coat of epoxy I'm gonna see a different between the sanding areas and the areas where I just removed the peelply?
    With small bubbles, I mean no air bubbles, just to much epoxy on a few places. I try to take some pictures.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.