hello, need advice (repairing/modifying my 21ft wood boat)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by manos mit, Apr 14, 2013.

1. manos mit

manos mit Junior Member

thank you PAR,you are very helpfull,i will try your suggestion :)

2. mirage4m40

mirage4m40 New Member

Hello manos... nice boat and bravo fo your willing to make it alive again! bravo bravo bravo!

im also from Greece. (6944437541 George)

3. SaugatuckWB

SaugatuckWB Junior Member

Glassing the whole hull isn't that hard or expensive. I'd do the whole thing. You gain some rigidity, abrasion resistance, and rot resistance. If you can flip the boat over, its a lot easier to sand the surface and apply the fabric/epoxy without getting it all over you. A boat this size isn't very difficult to turn over.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You will not gain any rigidity with a light layer of cloth on a hull like this, only abrasion resistance. Rot resistance is dependent on other factors, so irrelevant in regard to sheathings, particularly without encapsulation.

'Glassing may not that hard for you and me, but for a novice in his first attempt, well probably a fair bit of difficulty and it's usefulness is dubious without a much better idea of the structure and planking condision.

5. manos mit

manos mit Junior Member

hello George,how are you?thanks for your support!:) i'll send you pm

6. manos mit

manos mit Junior Member

hello,you are right that flipping the boat will be the best solution but i have limmited space for doing this.as for now i have removed floopy sections of polyester,the 3/4 of the glass is in good condition so i' ll reglass the bad spots. i know that isnt the right way but i hope it will last for 3-4 years.if i had the time i was going to remove the whole bottom and replank it with no glass on it!!

7. manos mit

manos mit Junior Member

hello again to all:)its been much time since my last visit but my son was born and he gets all my free time:D:D.in my restoration now,since last time i have removed the flopy polyester from the bottom,grind back to bare wood,epoxy putty in two very small rots and primed the bottom.now its time for the rest hull.back to my idea to cut the cabin superstracture,i understand that i must make some reinforcment.iam thinking to brace athwart as many frames i can with 150mm x 25mm wood brace.some questions:how many frames do i have to brace?in whitch height?near to sheer line as i can?would these braces enough to hold hull rigidy?any other suggestions?thanks in advance!