Hello everyone, Sea Lark??

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Msalvatore47, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Msalvatore47

Msalvatore47 Junior Member

Hello everyone i am brand new to the forum but so far i've already gotten alot of valuable information out of it.

I am a high school student and for a school project i chose to restore a boat.
    first i had to find a boat. well i did and all i know is that it is about 19 feet long, the name on it is sea lark and it is an inboard. it looks like this company is no longer existant so its hard to get info on the boat. it has an old ford 302 in it that i plan on rebuilding or replacing (depending on which is cheaper) and besides that, the floor needs replacing, as does the transom. which will give me a clean slate to build from. i want to make this vessel the ultimate fishing guide boat. as that is what i intend to use it for eventually.

i have a couple questions, for instance.....
    1. given that i am very driven, i'll have some assistance, and i have quite a bit of time on my hands, how long do you think it will take me?
    2. can anyone tell me anything about sealark??

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They are nice running boats. It is a classic. You can get a remanufactured engine cheaper than you can rebuild it. If you have any problems getting one locally let me know and I can get one shipped to you.

3. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

I disagree, if you have the tools, ability, the engine doesn't need much machine work, you can rebuild the 302 for less then a grand, using good parts. For about 400 bucks you can do a full up rebuild for the 302, including gaskets, rings, bearings, timing chain and gears, lifters, push rods and a cam. New pistons will be about $120, machine work to hone up the bores etc. and maybe putting a brand new carburetor and ignition on it to make sure it runs nice, will be less then 1000 bucks.

4. Msalvatore47

Thanks for the replies! Well, i have a mentor that rebuilds engines for a living. so i'll have the tools. i'll have him give me his opinion on whether we should fix it or scrap it. i'm gonna post some pictures pretty soon of my boat that i'll be taking this weekend for the "before" shots.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

$400 won't pay for the machine shop. Before you buy or pay for anything add it all up.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Meanwhile use the "search" function above and have some reading about "transom repair / replacement". Same for the bottom.

Regards
    Richard

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I can get a block chemically cleaned, ridge reamed, honed and have the cam bearings pulled, with new ones installed for less then $400 at a local machine shop. It will not be honed to size, just deglazed.

8. Msalvatore47

Yea, but where do you live?

9. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I have done that to a few motors . It is not hard if there is no damage to the motor . Mic it out and check tolerances, If the bore is OK ,new rings and bearings. But you are right ,If it can be done for $400 . send it out .

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I do my own too, though I've got a broken blade in my ridge reamer now. Most of the blocks I see need to be punched to the next bore size anyway, so it's not a pressing thing to replace. Machine work isn't that bad, but it helps to know the weird guys that like to do this for entertainment value. I usually call Mike and suggest he can sleep with his wife or can come out to the shop, true up some bores and have a few beers with me. He generally meets me at the shop, panting.

It's the old "antique" engines that kill you in machining costs. Moderately new, American V8's, seem to be a dime a dozen and hold their bores unless cooked or used long past tolerance.

11. Msalvatore47

Question guys, ok, i'm starting my project this weekend. Whats my first step? Lift the top (deck) off the hull and start replacing/tearing out the rotten stringers and such? I bought a Dewalt Reciprocating saw (and respirator & goggles for cutting fiberglass) and I'm going to buy a pulley system to lift the top (deck) up and suspend it in the air while i work on the inside of the hull. What else do I need?

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I think Gonzo is talking about a real rebuild. You cant do that for $400.
    I have "refreshed" engines, but to watch an engine go through a real Re-build shop is a learning experience.
    When you crank over a Real Rebuild, it starts and runs just like a Factory Engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.