Rivet replacement

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Lampy08, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Lampy08

Lampy08 Junior Member

I was recently given an old riveted aluminium 16” Lund that was used hard by some loggers. She leaks quite a bit from several rivets and I’m hoping to get some advice about replacing them. Obviously I need to drill them out and put in over sized ones but are there any tricks or short cuts that would help?
    Also part of the reason the rivets worked loose is that the ribs have stress crack in the “V” . I’m thinking about putting some floors in and laying some plywood over them to help reduce the flexing any suggestions about that would help too.

Dennis

2. wardd

wardd Senior Member

are they solid rivets or mechanically locking rivets with a pin in the middle?

if solid center punch the head in the middle and use a drill the same diameter as the rivet and drill through the head only then use a drift pin to push the remainder out of the rivet hole

an automatic center punch is handy

if with a pin, try to use a drift pin to push the pin out or down and drill as above

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use a backing iron and a ball peen hammer to reset the rivets

4. Lampy08

Lampy08 Junior Member

ok this brings up two questions:
    Wardd, Is there a water tight mechanicly locking rivet (pop rivet) available for home shop type tools?
    Gonzo, are you sugesting tha I mearly tighten the existing rivet? Would that work? It would save a lot of time

Dennis

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/products/product.asp?prod_id=804

but special rivet setters may be needed

resetting may work but the holes may be oblong and or over size from vibration and wear and may loosen up again

my knowledge of riveting is from aviation and boats may have different wear characteristics

but removing the rivets will give you the chance to examine the holes for radial cracking and thinning of the metal under the rivet head

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Small boats are not as critical as airplanes. I have fixed a really bad boat, used for commercial crabbing, with a laminate of penetrating epoxy and 12oz cloth.

7. Lampy08

Lampy08 Junior Member

Some one tried epoxy and glass on it before and it is peeling off, nearly all peeled off really. I was looking at it a little closer this morning some of the rivets I can wiggle with just one finger. I think drilling out and replacing is best option. Now I have to find some stock to make rivet out of, or rivets for sale. Thanks for all your help folks.

Dennis

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

go to a small airport and ask where you can get what you need

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

What I say too. Use a friend to buck the other side. Something about three pounds to buck them, like a sledge hammer head.

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

rivet guns and rivet sets and bucking bars don't cost much

an air hammer about $50 and set less than $10

and a round piece if 1" bar 6" long

11. welderbob

welderbob Junior Member

Mc Master=Carr sells rivets and setting tools

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.