helle every one

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by JeanF, Jan 8, 2010.

1. JeanF

JeanF New Member

Hello everyone,

I 'm pretty sure you will notice that i'm not fluid in english at all. My native language is french and i live in Quebec, just upside of the Maine state.

Last april i bought a wellcraft V20 1983. I bought it because i fall in love whit the design of the boat and the possibilities it offer me for the fishing game.

In fact, I love so much the boat i gave her the name of Suzie Q the famous song of CCR.
    Here a pic of SuzieQ
    [​IMG]

As a weekend angler, i want to make some modifications to the boat to offer me more possibilities for the fishing time i will have soon.

First, i asking your participation into my hardtop project.

See, i would like to put a hardtop on it and be able to insert the VHF, Radio, Charplotter and the Fishfinder .
    The problems is, i really dont have the time for all the operations . If you can help me with plans , i will do it soon as possible.

Best wishes for the new years for all

Jean

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You could simply screw a sheet of plywood on the bimini frams. If you don't have time, how do you plan on doing the project though?

3. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Leave it as it is until you have had time to use it and see exactly what you want from your hardtop design.
    Its no use making it in a hurry and then regretting it everytime you use the boat.
    Get to know the boat first.
    J

4. JeanF

JeanF New Member

:) i'm not so close of working 7 days a week ;) I can do it , but i dont have the knowledge to the How to do it... see ?

so if someone can let me know the How to do it ...

Here what i'm looking for
    [​IMG]

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The one in the photo has an aluminum frame. Do you weld?

6. JeanF

JeanF New Member

yes i can

7. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

If you can indeed weld..then you should be okay then...it's a nice boat...by the way...looks very stable...but ITCHY/Scratchy is correct...I would not do any projects on this boat for awhile...just get to know her like a new girlfriend...she looks like she could be fun for awhile... upgrade certain things later if you wish...something you cannot do very often with a girlfriend...at least without her permission..well...I digress...

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ne vous précipitez pas votre décision. Prenez le temps de à méditer travers. Gardez se méfier de trop de poids sur le dessus Envisagez pour la stabilité et la vitesse.

Do not rush your decision. Take time to think through. Keep wary of too much weight on top. Consider for stability and speed.

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I've often wondered if Fiber-glassing the Canvas would make a Hard top?

10. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes thudpucker, that would make a hardtop.
    A bit wrinkled and funny-looking, but definitively a hardtop.

11. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Yes and maybe. I heard someone say there's nothing to indicate poor sloppy workmanship like Wrinkles in your Duct Tape. :)

I'd bet theres some way to tighten it up while you put the first coat on. That would make it water proof. Then you re-inforce it a bit and you have a pretty durable but light in weight, hard top.
    That's probably the only thing a light boat like that would need.
    Something to keep the cold water from dripping on you as you fish in comfort.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thuddy,

you must not do much effort to saturate it with resin. (no glass)

When the canvas stays in tight shape when soaked in water, it will stay in shape when you apply resin.
    When using a clear and UV resistant resin, it will still look like canvas too.

Regards
    Richard

13. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

So wait...if you mix up a batch of polyester resin and brush it onto a stretched canvas bimini...it will not be brittle and crack after it dries? How much resin are we talking about here...? Does it still retain some decent flexibility.... enuff that it won't crack? Just curious...someone also said you can do this with sails...but only if you thin the resin a bit...my mainsail is really old...thread bare and baggy but I'd like to get one more summer out of her...I guess I could experiment on a small patch...

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

This is the first time the word polyester comes up.
    Yes, that will brittle and crack, but the proper epoxy mix will have some flexibility.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

It will be as flexible as a HARD - top is! What else?
    It will not handle much load, thats right. Glass handles load better.

How can one even think about polyester resin on a sail???

edit:

right Cornelis. EP has a bit more flex. but has to be UV protected by paint.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.