Heliferry Concept - innovative boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by foxxaero, Aug 18, 2004.

1. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

an autogyro is no helicopter

Salt water is a maintenance burden in general, but autogyro rotors like used here in the HeliFerry only produce a fraction of the wash and are mechanically a fraction of the complexity of helicopters. The maintenance burden is thus an order of magnitude less. You see, we thought of the PM ;)
    Luc

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Junior Member

I've cleaned and painted too many blades to count.:)

3. lucdekeyser

progress on the heliferry concept

Cartercopters is completing the tests on a new generation personal air vehicle (PAV) showing off the rotor, the crucial enabling technology for the heliferry. It is important to note that the heliferry does use this rotor technology in a STOL fashion and not in the VTOL shown here. Furthermore, Cartercopters has sold the worldwide license of this technology for use in UAV's, securing the necessary funds to continue its R&D.

At the same time, it is exciting to follow up on the recent sea trials of the WSH-500 a 50 pax hoverwing wig the South Koreans have bought the licenses of from Dr. Fisher. It showcases the reverse delta Lippisch wig wings that are part of the enabling technology of the heliferry.

And this forum should need no convincing of the benefits of wave piercing hulls, the third technology the heliferry is based on.

Quod erat demonstrandum. Now, to prove the combination works as advertised.

4. yipster

yipster designer

Luc, about 2 weeks back a fully licenced new dutch 3 wheel car was in the news here
    3w car was leaning in cornering and also had girocopter blades folding out and up
    a prop at the rear and it flew high with some vibration. boat can do too I thought
    and now you remind me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHSaNtAMjs

5. lucdekeyser

I know, Yipster. Probably the cleverest solution yet. They deserve more publicity. But nothing I can use. And solving the wrong problem, I am afraid. A safety and regulation nightmare. At least in Holland.
    I am not interested in Cartercopter's PAV per se, but in its rotor technology which is very unique and perfect for ... fast boats ;-)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.