Helicopter Pad for Commercial Operations

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by aircoastal, Jul 18, 2014.

1. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Here's a copter on a barge for a dive operator on the Great Barrier Reef down under, and then a couple small vessels

:cool:

Attached Files:

2. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

Keydisease: great information thank you!

3. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

I was a Helicopter Control Officer (HCO) on 2 US Navy ships. From the tower seat I was part of over 500 landings and launches at sea, including re-fueling on deck and while hovering (HIFR). Navy ships performing Helicopter operations drive into the wind to create favorable relative winds on deck, i.e. reduce cross winds and gain stability in swells. You mentioned that your operations would be in calm sea states, sheltered waters, and the vessel would operate within a 100 mile range. If that is the case your vessel will probably not be capable to the speed required to create favorable relative wind conditions. Operating in calm weather is fine, but without that forward movement and some stand-off from the water surface you will create a signficant amount of rotor wash causing salt spray to enter the engine intakes. US Navy SH60 Seahawks are designed to withstand this, and we fresh water wash the turbines while they are running. I'm no expert on the turbines in Commercial Rotorcraft so I'm not certain about thier tolerance of salt spray and hot-washing.
    I'm fairly certain you will not attempt in flight refueling the way we do in the Navy, but the systems and safety mechanisms for on deck refuling of AVGAS can be pretty extensive. A salt water fire main is complex enough, but add to it the ability to douse the deck with AFFF (foam), and the $$$ start adding up. Next, add to it the need for a fresh water system for the salt in the engines.
    In general, considering the limited range you mentioned, I just think the cost of the vessel and crewing, maintaining, and operations will cost far more than land based launching and recovery of your helicopters.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

At sea tonnage refers to volume not weight. A ton is 100 cubic feet. In theory the gross tonnage is all the volume below the main deck, and it may or may not include deckhouses. The gross tonnage is used for regulations and crew certificates. The net tonnage is (again in theory) a measure of the cargo capacity (in volume) of the vessel. This is used for harbour or canal dues, towage and salvage assessments, etc. Depending on the flag state and vessel use there are lots of ways to juggle these figures. Locally we have 60' by 24' tugs that should be 200 gross tons registered at 14.9!

Dead Weight Tonnage (DWT) is the usual way to refer to the cargo capacity in weight terms.

5. keysdisease

For a new build, one of these catamarans might be the most cost effective way to go, pick your model sketch your configuration, write a check:

www.coopermarine.com

These guys been building USCG inspected vessels for a long time and their platforms are all pretty much tested and known, and in Florida for convenience.

6. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

Tad thanks for clearing that up. I did find the formula but "simple" calculations seem far different than some I have seen so I guess there are creative ways of determining the number

7. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

Thanks keysdiease but doesn't this go against your previous recommendation of steel?

8. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

thanks Clouddiver fortunately we don't have near the down wash velocity so vessel movement will not be paramount. We have a wash routine for the salt environment as we operate on the coastline and the aircraft will not live aboard the vessel. NO no in flight fueling here! The foam system I have counted on however there is a type of helideck that has passive protection and allows for in deck seawater only spray system for fire suppression it will be a matter of choice.

9. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

Thanks Joz, that's the concept, cant tell how big that vessel is but the aircraft landing on it is same model as one of mine

10. keysdisease

Steel, as a non combustible makes conversion to inspected vessel easier. The Cooper Catamarans are built as inspected vessels from the keel up, are probably one of the best values in inspected vessels of this size/ type, and have very low operating costs.

You also get, within the confines of the basic design, exactly what you want.

11. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

Looks like they retired it in 2011 and it was 134 ft long wonder if somebody bought it surplus.

12. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

cool thanks for clarifiying that I mistook what you had said

13. aircoastal

aircoastal Junior Member

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

(IX-514) Specifications:
    Displacement497.8 t.(fl)
    Length 125'
    Beam 36'
    Draft 4.66'
    Speed 9 kts. (max)
    Complement 1 officer, 22 enlisted
    Propulsion 2 Detroit Diesel 471 Series, 115Kw 185A generators, twin shafts

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/46/46514.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.