Height of Superstructure of Passenger Ship

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Rounak Saha Niloy, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Rounak Saha Niloy

Rounak Saha Niloy Junior Member

Can anybody provide me with the standard height of the superstructure of a passenger ship? For each deck, I have seen values ranging from 2.2 m to 2.8 m. But I need a value with proper reference.

2. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

In general, the minimum clear height should be 2100-2200 mm (depending on the location). But, of course, that is not the steel-to-steel distance between decks - you have to allow for structure, cable trays, ventilation, insulation etc. (that is, probably, why you are getting different values).

3. Rounak Saha Niloy

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Is there any prescribed reference such as DNV-GL rule?

4. RAraujo

Usually, Class has little concern about those aspects - their main focus is safety. The class notations related to habitability (comfort) usually only specify requirements for indoor climate, noise and vibrations.

In MLC (which is not applicable to passenger spaces) it is stated a minimum height of 2030mm.

I'm not aware of any international regulations... Maybe there are national regulations.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

6. Rounak Saha Niloy

7. RAraujo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.