Heh, heh!!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

heh,heh.....heh!

From F18vb on SA(hilarious):

CAUTION: This is meant to be humorous, not inflamatory. It is written by a multihull owner who has heard many of the same things I have over the years.
    I got a good laugh and hope you do too:

Why do you guys insist on sailing multihulls!? They are clearly inferior to all monohulls.
    Multihulls are slow. They can't point because they don't have a keel, they can't tack, and they reach back and forth instead of sailing straight at the mark. When its windy and the sea is big they go ever slower because the bows are too narrow. The bow goes right through the wave instead of going over it. You can't push a multihull as hard because it will capsize, go turtle, and then you can never get it back up. They have more wetted area and windage because the have more hulls. They are too heavy because they have more than one hull.

They aren't a racing boat. There isn't even a multihull in the Olympics. If Larry hadn't forced Ernesto, their wouldn't be in the America's Cup either. They are only used for party cruises and sailing around at the beach. When was the last time you saw a Hobie at a regatta?

They aren't tactical at all. There can't be a dial up because you can't get the multihulls out of irons. See AC33 for proof. The boats just reach to the corners and tack once. At the start, there is no circling, everyone just sits around at the line and takes off when the gun fires. There are no tactics in that. You can't pass anyone downwind because you can't use the wind shadow on boats that are reaching. You can't pass upwind because you can't tack fast enough. It is impossible to pass someone on a reach because everyone takes the same course.

They aren't safe in big winds and waves. They capsize too easily when they hit a wave. They are knocked around by waves too violently. There is too much spray to be safe and warm.

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Please don't bring obvious SA trolls to this forum!

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Something to think about is what this means for the C class. The one-design AC45s are they way they plan to groom AC sailors. I suspect the C class will become the entry point for AC designers. That means a lot more money could be flowing into the C class, and the days of the amateur designer/builder/sailor in the C class could be coming to a close.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

---------------------
    I thought it was hilarious-as the author intended it to be!

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    You may be right and I think that this is bound to have some influence on the use of wings as well. Very exciting and lots of potential...

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Looks like PJ was correct. I received this e-mail from The Daily Sail this morning. There is a rumor now that another announcement is imminent, but perhaps some money will be changing hands to prevent it. Let's see how that develops. Anyway:

Breaking news received that the British America's Cup syndicate TeamOrigin is NOT to compete in the 34th America's Cup. Sir Keith Mills, TEAMORIGIN Team Principal, "After three years of waiting in the wings to enter a British team in the America’s Cup I am bitterly disappointed that we will not be competing. However, the format and timetable decided by the Defender, BMW/Oracle, is simply not viable for TEAMORIGIN. We have assembled an outstanding team, led by Grant Simmer and Ben Ainslie, and I am personally very sorry that they won’t now get the chance to race for a British team in the next America’s Cup." Over the next couple of months TEAMORIGIN will be considering whether it will compete in other yachting events over the next few years. More follows on www.TheDailySail.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.