Heh Duluthboats...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Duluth - for whatever reason - my local mag shop had the August release of Woodenboat - you MUST pick it up...

Has great article and cover photo of an all electric cruiser from Australia and another article on kitchen rudders - great stuff...

Stayed in bed late this morning reading (not just looking at the pretty pictures) and poking my hungover and snoring wife with a sharpened toe nail... :)

Yup...

SH.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Herron,
    Get back to painting that house before the wife wakes up!
    If you know what's good for you... :)

Baker

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Sean,

Thanks for thinking about me; I’m a long time subscriber, we have discussed the rudder article in another thread. It is kind of wild that they had the Nomad II on the cover with a great article and the Kitchen rudder article in the same issue. I’m either becoming normal or the rest of the world is starting to think more like me. :eek:

Don’t get any paint on those pretty pictures.

Gary :D

4. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Electrics...

Hello...

I have convinced myself and my wife (WHICH CLOSES ALL) that electrics is the way to go...

Even on my little Oday 22 - a Honda generator is the same size as my gas tank - is less maintenance than my OB - produces 120 at 60 HZ on four outlets - runs for 8 hours on one litre of go juice - is all aluminum and draws little air and can be sound proofed into my STB locker...

That on two batts and a reg and then to an Etec powered OB leg and what do I have - VERY little maintenance - no hull resonance - everyone can talk while 'powering' past the bouys for a sail set...

120 for a 0.5 cubit ft. micro - pressure washer - etc...

Gosh - I mean Gosh - this all makes sense - I am going to sell the noisy Evinrude - and do it...

SH.

5. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

LOL!! Is there life between go-fast and sail? There are some here on the forum and else where that thinks electric will be the next major expansion in the boating industry. I happen to agree. I don’t know if go-slow will ever catch on. Even the sail people mostly talk about how fast their boat will go. Maybe when gas is $3.50 a gallon.

6. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Duluth...
    It's already at (er... over) 3.50/gallon here...
    IIRC a gallon is about 4 metric litres. we curently pay around 11 skr/litre.
    with an excchangerate at around 1USD=7.90skr we pay $5.5/ 4 litres...

Hey paying tax is fun aint it...

7. artemis

artemis Steamboater

I am continually amazed by how much the meaning of the words "pleasure boating" has changed. When I grew up (scratches white beard :D ) "pleasure boating" meant spending several relaxing hours on relatively placid waters, sometimes fishing, sometimes just relaxing. Guess that's why I still prefer steamboating. Bill Durham said it best: "I measure my boat's speed in fun-per-mile, not miles-per-hour". Still my preferred method of measurement.

8. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

I rate my boating on hours per dollar. If I have 100 dollars to spend on boating, I would much rather get 50 hours per $100 than 25 hours. It is not so important how fast the boat is going, but how long I can remain on the water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.