ship design help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by anth, Oct 23, 2007.

1. anth

anth New Member

hello, i am currently a engineering student and doing a tutorial on tanker design using maxsurf and hydromax. We are giving the following info:

Waterline length: 310 m
    beam: 51 m
    design draft: 18.5 m
    displacement at design draft: 251,800 tonnes

- at ballast condition, the draft is 11m and KG is 12m.
    - at fully loaded condition, draft is 18.5m and KG is 17.5m

notes:
    - model this tanker by starting with the 'VLCC' sample maxsurf design, and stretching it to the correct dimensions
    - neglect free surface effects on stability
    - the above-water profile area in ballast condition is 4960 m^2, with centroid 20m above the keel

It wants me to calculate the GZ curve for both conditions, so I've opened up the VLCC maxsurf file to change the dimensions but I don't know how to get the depth from the above information to enter into maxsurf?

Also I'm not sure why I was given the above-water profile area and centroid above keel for the ballast condition? doesn't maxsurf generate this?

Finally, a question asks me how strong a beam wind gust would be required to heel this ship to 1 degree when in ballast condition, i understand that I have to compare certain areas under the GZ curve to do this but was wondering if hydromax can do this?

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Arvy

Arvy Senior Member

Setting the depth in maxsurf

Hiya Anth,

You can set the depth through menu option Data -> Frame of reference.

Hope this helps.

3. anth

anth New Member

ok I assume from the question that the DWL should be set to 18.5m. But I still dont know how to get the depth to put into the 'size surfaces' function?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.